has anyone had this problem

JimmyF

Tried turkey wings for the first time, cooked at 250 for 3-4 hours. Although the meat came out fine the skin was inedible. As of now I no longer see myself smoking turkey parts. Suggestions appreciated.

Low temp cooking makes for rubbery skin on chicken and turkey. As Clark suggested, try cooking at a higher temp(for a shorter cook time of course!).

I also would suggest a higher temp cook say 325F. or there about.. Just use an empty foiled water pan and run it with all the vents wide open. Another option would that if your still not happy with the skin, after the cook CAREFULLY remove the top and center section and place the top grill right over the charcoal to crisp the skin.

Or, don't eat the skin. I know some love it, but I can do without it. Also, low and slow chicken and turkey is very good and juicy. I'll sacrifice and not have any skin for the benefit of the some very good meat.

When I smoke chicken parts, I always crisp them up on a really hot gas grill after they come off of the WSM. But it's probably healthier to just not eat the skin... oh nevermind.

Back