Hanging Tomahawk Ribeye

Looks great but the performer will do the same lol
But, that’s not on YouTube!
Well, I’m sure someone has posted one somewhere.

I'm missing the nice crust of a reverse sear from Malcom's hanger. I use a performer with the coals one one side, cook indirect to 115°; rest, blot off the moisture and oil the meat (also add a little pepper); build up the fire to super-hot; reverse sear about 1-2 minutes per side, rotating often. Photos below.

I like doing a tomahawk, mainly because of the convenient handle to use while searing.

Jeff

Ribeye raw by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Ribeye cooked by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

The above pictures of that rib steak is how I roll too. Why try to fix something that isn't broken, all your steps are perfect and I know how the end result will be. Good looking cut too btw. I also thought for sure with that hook sitting at 90, kind of swaying a bit Malcom would come back and all of a sudden he would be going caveman style instead of hanging style.

The above pictures of that rib steak is how I roll too. Why try to fix something that isn't broken, all your steps are perfect and I know how the end result will be. Good looking cut too btw. I also thought for sure with that hook sitting at 90, kind of swaying a bit Malcom would come back and all of a sudden he would be going caveman style instead of hanging style.
Re: the ribeye cut - the H-E-B super in these parts sells prime, wagyu and dry aged ribeye. It’s the benchmark cut in Texas. Not cheap,but quite good for the price. Whenever I go in, I always scope the meat case and if the cuts look especially right, I snag them. Never disappointing.
Jeff

Back