Handle too hot to handle! Ideas?

Handle upgrade Jim? I've had Weber's going back to when they were metal. Wood was much better but still too hot. Now the plastic ones seem fine to me for the most part. Are yours the newer plastic type? I always have a pair of leather work gloves at the grill; much easier handling the grill grate, charcoal, etc.

Pete - I'm having issues with the plastic handles. I do the same - using a leather workglove. Last night I forgot the glove and just thought there has to be something that would help.

yes they do get hot. thats why i like wood besides that they look good. in europe they install heat shields. but really, ya'll need to get ya some man hands !

Hi Jim,

What has helped me with my Plastic handles on my kettles has been to wrap them with aluminum foil a few rounds. No, not the coolest, but it helps me when I forget the glove or towel. Hope this helps.

I don't think I've ever been bothered with overly hot wood or plastic handles, but the freakin' metal handles on my 26.75" Bar-B-Q-Kettle, have had me jumping on more times than I care to remember! You think by now I'd learn, so a cotton work glove is usually wrapped around the lid handle!

I have only had the handles be too hot to touch a couple of times and only then when I have a blazing fire going in the kettle. But I keep a pair of leather welders gloves next to the grill for those occasions.

I always have a rag hanging from my pocket when I'm grilling. Every cook worth his salt has a rag hanging around somewhere.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Like I said I use the work glove as well - I guess I just expect more from Weber, especially since there are options to improve the issue. As noted - the shield is available in Europe. As a project - I think I'll try to fabricate and keep y'all posted. Thanks again - Jim

Ok, I guess my experience with my new 2010 performer is normal, at least by Webern standards today. I wonder what changed bc my 2000 OTP had a plastic handle too. It barely got above warm, and never hot. Ti almost dropped the lid on the performer it was so hot.

Looks like people just accept it and keep a pair of gloves nearby, so that's what I will do. Wonder if the new design w the heat shield has cured this issue.

Back