Hamburg Patties 101 ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Maybe this isn't the best location for this, but not sure all those whom opinions I "value" read all the sections of this, forum.

Care to share your "procedure" for making hamburg patties, mainly assenbling the patties, type of meat etc, although any recipes with ingredients are more than welcome.

I find using 80/20 beef, and handeling the patties the absolute "Minimum" is key to a "Tender & Juicey" hanburger.

Also I've been using I believe Bobby Flay's "recipe" if you will,i by just geneously salting and peppering the outside of the patties. Even my 86 year old mother thinks their good.

Now that I'm out of leftover frozen PP, I'm grilling hamburgers a couple times a week for lunch.

Any info you care to share ??

Goes to the taste preferences of the audience. I tried the salt/pepper method and they were audibly booed by my wife and her side of the family. They found them way too bland. Honestly, I tend to agree.

I actually just did an experiment the other day where I made 4 different types of patties and did blind taste testing with the group mentioned above. Here's the results (for our family of course)

-salt/pepper. Found it to be blah

-Salt/pepper with italian bread crumbs and mozzarella cheese. Went over well, very juicy

-Lawry's seasoned salt. Just so so

-Garlic powder/onion powder/paprika/salt/pepper. Went over the best. Had the most flavor. Think I had the bread crumbs in there too..can't recall

Well depend on how u eat ur burger.

If u only use like "mayo" or/and ketchup go for a spicy hamburger.

But my way of eating hamburger cares for a bit off topings like: onion,sause´s,salad,tomatoes,cheese maby bacon.

And if u still wanna taste the meat in the burger after those toppings dont over spice.

Bless//Me

I season with Lawry's Seasoning Salt, granulated garlic and Black pepper just before going on the grill on one side and season the other side just before the flip. After forming the patties put if fridge to firm up for at least an hour so they won't fall apart when trying to flip them. I always start cooking them direct and finish them indirect. Always toast the bread too

By my own experience, my best burgers have come from 80/20 ground chuck with seasoned salt sprinkled on top. To form the patties, I place a ball of meat between two pieces of wax or parchment paper and press down with a dinner plate.

My "go-to" for burgers is 80/20. I've got a great local farm that supplies black angus beef that make the best burgers I've ever had.

I use the classic Tupperware burger mold - I just like the uniform size/thickness so that the burgers are consistently done.

I season with a little cracked pepper and Jane's Crazy Salt and on to the grill they go!

I'll melt a slice of p-jack cheese for the last 30 seconds while I toast the buns.

I always use 80/20 and add nothing to the meat except pepper. I form the patties loosely, keeping handling to a minimum. Then I season the tops with Goya Adobo seasoning, put them on the grill seasoned-side down, and hit the tops with another quick shake of Adobo. They're always muy juicy and get plenty of compliments, so I keep doing it this way.

Lately I've been toasting the buns adds a little something to it.

Preferred topings Slice of "Fresh" home grown Tomato, schredded lettuce, thinly sliced onion. Just a touch of mayo on the tomato, also salt the tomato slice occasionaly sprinkle a little oregano on the tomato slice but not really necessary.

That being said todays lunch A 1/3 plus, LB hamburger (73/27 no 80/20 at the store today), just salt and pepper on both sides, toasted bun, yellow mustard on the bottom half of the bun, and ketchup on the top half of the bun.

no tomato have to wait a little while for some from the garden.

P.S. Made the patties bigger today, because of the higher fat content.

Nutmeg. Seriously, grate some fresh nutmeg into your beef as part of your seasoning.
I've been doing this for a few years now and find it makes the beef flavour pop.

I find that if you cook them about 2/3 before flipping, they stay together better (let them develop a nice char and don't fuss w/them too much)

Since I spent a good deal of time down in Louisiana, I typically hit mine with a liberal dose of Cajun seasoning and Worchy sauce.

Great timing. I made the best burger I've cooked just last night. Like many others, I always use 80/20 if I can get it. Gotta form the patties by hand. Last night, I added a bit of woosty sauce, finely diced vidalia onion, a touch of garlic powder, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. I let them sit while the coals warm up and lightly salt and pepper them again right before I throw 'em on. Last night, I topped with bacon, medium cheddar and a little ketchup. Mmmmm!!! Cooked over high heat with a small chunk of hickory.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Last night, I topped with bacon, medium cheddar and a little ketchup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait--isn't that cheating? You could put bacon on shoe leather and it would taste good!
icon_biggrin.gif

I bet it was good too!

my best hamburgers, 80/20 chuck, 1 egg for binding, 1 pouch of lipton onion soup mix, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, worcestershire sauce, grill on wsm at 350-375 for about 10-12 min then flip for another 10-12 min & 3 chunks of mesquite wood or grill on weber kettle @ 35-375 for about 5 mins per side

I know this diffrent we only use 10/90 burger and ground sirloin when I can find it ! salt pepper cook to med . Most a the time I only add a little mayo and or a slice a onion and tomatoe . 20/80 is way to grease for the wife and myself even done on the grill . I also get it corse ground so it has some tooth to it kina of a steak burger . works for us
icon_smile.gif

My other secret vice is a burger with open pit BBQ sauce a cheese
icon_eek.gif
now and then we will had some nice thick bacon thou .The open pit is here only for that one thing its a family thing what can I say .

We also copy a place we use to eat at had a burger that had PULLED PORK on it cheese and bacon lettuce and tomatoe and mayo now that is very good but weird I know .

My basic burger is usually just seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning. I flatten the middle a little bit to keep it from cooking into a ball-shape. Grill over high heat. I prefer no smoke with my burgers.

I am almost ashamed to admit my next type of burger.... Nah, I love the juicy, cheesy, burgery goodness. We grill them up and float them in a crock pot full of simmering aus jous. They can soak in the hot aus jous for parties or tailgates all day if needed. When I go to eat, I put a slice of cheese on both sides to protect the bun. The cheese melts around the burgers real nice. Scoop cheddar is good too. Everybody goes wild over burgers this way.... They dissappear fast.

My burgers are done similarly to the OP. I use 80/20. Since we got our kitchen scale, I determine patties are 5+ ounces, usually.

When I form the patty, I add a pat of butter to the center. I try to handle the meat as little as possible.

Flatten the patty to be even thickness (no spaceships).

Season with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper . . . very liberally.

Cook on direct heat three to four minutes per side.

These come out perfectly moist every time. A nice crust on the outside, juicy on the inside. Yum!

Well All, lot's of good idea's to make good burgers.

I forgot to mention the I have been using the bottom of a shot glass to flatten the center a little to keep the burger flatter for more even cooking.

All this burger talk. Will I have burgers for lunch today ?

80/20 for sure. I usually just mix in a little worcestershire and some garlic salt and pepper, but my secret is to pour a little maple syrup in the burger meat and mix it up a little. Adds just the right amount of sweet without overpowering it. Also, if this isn't already obvious, press a dimple in the center of the patty so it doesn't plump up too much while cooking.

One STRONG recommendation....if you can find pretzel rolls (Trader Joe's sells them) use those for your buns. I discovered this at a local joint here in Chicago called Kuma's Corner and it does wonders for a hamburger.

Can't recall who said it above...but letting the burgers sit for maybe 20 minutes after forming, prior to putting on the grill, seems to help.

All sound yummy!

Back