Ham Hocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
Do any of you ever smoke ham hocks? I find the ones commercially available to be rather insipid and lacking in that big smokey flavor I crave when I whip up a batch of beans or turnip greens, so I put four of them into the WSM the other day--no brine, no rub--and smoked them for about nine hours with a couple of chunks of holm oak. I'm very pleased with the results: good and smokey, but still juicy inside. By the way, I'm not sure "hock" is the right term for these, as they are actually the whole lower part of the leg. Check them out:

MemViewAlbum.asp

Regards,

Jim L.

Jim-

Ham Hocks & Stuff

Yep, I smoke my own ham hocks. Kinda silly since the place I get them, they are only $.20 cheaper than the ones that are already smoked (and, believe me, these are not insipid!) I like the process. Brine 'em, don't brine 'em, season them a bit, or don't, whatever you like.

I usually do up a large batch of them in the fall to season the winter's soups/stews.

R

Hmmmm... I've never smoked my own ham hocks, although I do buy the smoked version on a regular basis for use in pinto beans. Whilst I was out at noon, I stopped by my favorite meat market to see what kind of smoke wood they had in (bought a big bag each of apricot and hickory slabs for $10 total.)

ANYWAY, I was perusing the frozen meats case, and saw frozen fresh ham hocks, along with pigs' feet that are just crying out for pickling. I've not seen fresh hocks anywhere else around here. I think I'm going follow your lead and pick up a few of the hocks and try smokin' my own. I think the fresh ones were either .39/lb or .49/lb, can't remember for sure.

About 9 hours, eh? Thanks for the idea!

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Rich - Great photos! Best Ham Hocks and Tri-Tip I think I have ever seen. Question - How did you cook the Tri? Was it from the recipe on this site?

Charles-

Thanks for the comments on the photos.

Nope, that tri-tip was grilled at about 550? or so on my ceramic grill. Dusted with a little rub, seared on both sides direct for about 2-3 minutes each, then cooked it indirect the rest of the way until it registered 129? internal in the thickest part. Rested for 15 minutes, then sliced.

It was pretty yummy!

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich G:
[qb] Jim-

Ham Hocks & Stuff

Yep, I smoke my own ham hocks. Kinda silly since the place I get them, they are only $.20 cheaper than the ones that are already smoked (and, believe me, these are not insipid!) I like the process. Brine 'em, don't brine 'em, season them a bit, or don't, whatever you like.

I usually do up a large batch of them in the fall to season the winter's soups/stews.

R [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll vouch for Rich's Ham Hocks -- delicious! He gave me one which I mad a big pot of cajun red beans with. Amazing.

They sell fresh hocks, and even meatier shank slices at the asian market near my house. I gotta do this sometime. My vaccuum sealer is on the fritz so it's gonna have to wait....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back