Had to change things around a little

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I had originally planned on doing KFC with the Vortex but, the “Honey do” list managed to throw timing to the wind!
So, I’ll go back to a basic herbed Vortex chicken cook with roasted root vegetables on the Genny. Here are some “before” pictures36734AF8-1219-404B-87AF-E402A7FF741C.jpeg
And the veg,
872EF6DC-9520-4B70-8717-132526859BBF.jpeg
Parsnips and turnips on the left, beets and baby potatoes on the right.
Trying something with the Genny I’ve not done before. If it works, I’ll share.

Not a screaming success but, not an unmitigated failure either.
View attachment 28575
I like the concept, I just need to sort out some points of “finesse”.
This might need a few test firings to sort out but, dinner may have been a touch overly “Caremelized” but, I like the idea.
This may have been a use case for the POS warming rack that no one seams to use and always turns into a pile of rust because they are made of crappy SS.

No, not a brick layer but a collector of lots of “stuff”! I might need to pick up some new thin firebrick to do this again, at a little lower temperature!

I have never even thought of grilling beets. Is the best way on a pan like above? Do you put anything on them? How long?

You can go right onto the grill for a while. I give mine a headstart by creating tinfoil pouches with olive oil, s+p, and herbs, then roasting them for about thirty minutes. Then onto a flaming hot grill for not long.

Timothy's veg looks delicious.

I have never even thought of grilling beets. Is the best way on a pan like above? Do you put anything on them? How long?
Try a warm grilled beet salad with spinach or arugula sometime. It's amazing.
You can go right onto the grill for a while. I give mine a headstart by creating tinfoil pouches with olive oil, s+p, and herbs, then roasting them for about thirty minutes. Then onto a flaming hot grill for not long.

Timothy's veg looks delicious.
TCampbell, that’s a fine idea! I generally toss with S&P and olive oil then drop them on a not too screaming hot grill for about 20-30 min.
KE Quist, yessir warm beet slices, over spinach with some goat cheese or feta, simple vinaigrette, yes, yes, yes!
Joe, I did them in the pans simply to not “cross color” with the beets, I do them in a pan when I have something else that might need more close attention. If I’m roasting something, the day I did these turned very convoluted and I got side tracked thus, the over done beets.
I have done “salad turnips” pretty much the same way but, the last few times I saw the guy at the farmers market, he had had an issue with slugs and didn’t have any. I tossed those the same way using the above method but “mounting” them with a bit of sweet butter. Maybe a bit decadent but, wowzers!

TCampbell, that’s a fine idea! I generally toss with S&P and olive oil then drop them on a not too screaming hot grill for about 20-30 min.
KE Quist, yessir warm beet slices, over spinach with some goat cheese or feta, simple vinaigrette, yes, yes, yes!
Joe, I did them in the pans simply to not “cross color” with the beets, I do them in a pan when I have something else that might need more close attention. If I’m roasting something, the day I did these turned very convoluted and I got side tracked thus, the over done beets.
I have done “salad turnips” pretty much the same way but, the last few times I saw the guy at the farmers market, he had had an issue with slugs and didn’t have any. I tossed those the same way using the above method but “mounting” them with a bit of sweet butter. Maybe a bit decadent but, wowzers!
Thanks - Do you slice them before putting them on like above, or whole? Then 20-30 minutes sliced directly on the grill, I would think burnt beet chips?

These were small, consequently they got more “crisp” than I had wanted, if I’d left them halved they would have fared better. The parsnips were good, as were the turnips, timing just went a little sideways. All my own damned fault!

These were small, consequently they got more “crisp” than I had wanted, if I’d left them halved they would have fared better. The parsnips were good, as were the turnips, timing just went a little sideways. All my own damned fault!
I use parsnips in soups all the time. That is another vegetable I would not have thought to grill.

Back