Gyro meat on WSM or kettle?

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello everyone!

Has anyone here done Gyro meat on their kettle or WSM? I’m trying to give myself excuses to purchase a CB rotisserie but chicken and turkey has been the only consideration for doing so thus far.

I really love Mediterranean food and would love to do my own gyros.

Anyone? What else am I missing?

Johnny

Last edited:
Spinning Pork loins (on or off the bone), Roast beef (rolled or on the bone) suckling pig!
I have heard of using a basket set up for wings which sounds great to me!
Once you have it, you will FIND things to do with it! I mounted studs in my ring so I can set up an "upstairs" and "downstairs" design. With the gourmet system I can turn a chicken removing the center and still do sausages or something else in the "basement".
I love the GYRO idea! Let me know how that plays out!

Oohhh yeahh!! pork loin with prosciutto!!! One of my favs!! Those are some good ideas to get me started Tim! Thank you!
Totally forgot I could utilize the basket too! I tend to have to flip my wings with the vortex as only one side seems to get crispy, not a lot of work but still. :)

I'm really interested in your "upstairs/downstairs" design. I don't have one in hand yet so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the setup. I do have a gourmet system as well so I'm intrigued. So essentially your mod provides lower or higher clearance depending on what you want to do? and are we talking WSM or kettle? WSM, correct?

I def will! I think I'm sold now on this!

I have made kebobs using a gyro meat recipe (Alton Browns) and did it on a kettle, no rotisserie. You still need a rotisserie for other things, think of all the money you'll save just in lunch meat by doing it yourself!

Mac, I don't have a WSM. PM me with your email and I can send you some pix. Well, if I have not deleted them.
Basically what I did was take some 1/4x 20 short(3/4) bolted them in holes at four points around the ring and set the gourmet grill "upstairs" and use the standard grate on the regular rack stops in the kettle. When I've done ribs on the lower level and pans of vegetables upstairs too, it makes a lot of real estate to utilize! It's been very handy.

Mac, I don't have a WSM. PM me with your email and I can send you some pix. Well, if I have not deleted them.
Basically what I did was take some 1/4x 20 short(3/4) bolted them in holes at four points around the ring and set the gourmet grill "upstairs" and use the standard grate on the regular rack stops in the kettle. When I've done ribs on the lower level and pans of vegetables upstairs too, it makes a lot of real estate to utilize! It's been very handy.

I have made kebobs using a gyro meat recipe (Alton Browns) and did it on a kettle, no rotisserie. You still need a rotisserie for other things, think of all the money you'll save just in lunch meat by doing it yourself!

Exactly! Trying to think up foods I wouldn't mind eating often for lunch.

Thanks Tim. I'd love to get a peep at that setup. Hopefully you still have them. :)

Might pull the trigger this weekend, just waiting to see if this house I'm looking to purchase goes through.

It's been awhile since I've "spun" them, but gyros on the rotisserie are pretty awesome!

14374468441_0cf33764fe_z_d.jpg

It's been awhile since I've "spun" them, but gyros on the rotisserie are pretty awesome!

14374468441_0cf33764fe_z_d.jpg

Yes! Excellant!!!

Mike, where did you find your Gyro meat?

Thanks for the pictures Tim! Now I know what you're talking about. :)

Restaurant depot has them iirc. Also international markets have em as well.

Near me it's
Super Hayat Market
3.9 (58) · Indian Grocery Store
International groceries & halal meat
Torrance, CA · (310) 370-5707
Open until 9:00 PM
Directions
Hawthorne Market
4.2 (8) · Market
International grocery store with produce
Torrance, CA · (310) 373-4448
Website
Directions
Tehran Market

It would take some searching for me to find one and possibly a cruise to Chicago or Detroit! But then of course, I love a trip to Chicago!
I understand there's something called the internet.....
Glad you see what I was talking about, the pix were not focused on the roti modification, merely calories.
Did the house deal go smoothly?
Have a good time!

Last edited:

Back