Grilling on the 18.5 WSM

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Not quite ready to add a kettle to my arsenal so thought I would try using the 18.5 WSM for grilling first. My first few attempts have been promising enough that I am going to see this project through. I followed the instructions in this post and put the 18's charcoal grate and charcoal ring on the tabs in place of the water bowl. Added the 17" charcoal grate from the WSM 22 (#7441) on top of the charcoal ring which then acts as the charcoal grate for the 18 in grill mode and put the 18's stock 17.5 grilling grate in the stock position. Works great except that the distance from the charcoal grate to grilling grate is not enough.. only 3".

My next step is going to be to add a set of tabs to the stock straps at about 5" below the grill grate. Haven't decided if I will weld them in place or drill through the cooking section of the WSM. Might also try to JB Weld the shelf tabs on to the straps. This will give me a bit more head room above the coals and allow me to fit Char-baskets.

My question... I would like to upgrade the stock grilling grate. At a minimum, I want folding side doors to aid in adding coals to Weber Char-Baskets and in the future, a Slow N Sear. The stock grill grate is a 17.5". Is there a Weber grill grate with the folding side doors that will fit? Anything else I should look at? A heavier gauge would be nice too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't invest too much to pimp your WSM 18 out for grilling purposes. While you can grill on a WSM 18 in a pinch, I think most of us on here wind up doing our grilling on a kettle or gasser. And the WSM 18 cooking grate gets small for side-to-side direct/indirect with the baskets or SNS (and a fold up grate) taking up some of that real estate. The WSM 22 (same diameter as a standard kettle) is probably a better size for that type of use.

For now, just put your whole charcoal unit (including ring) on the water pan brackets. For medium temps, cook with the grate in the top position. For high heat sear, just move the cooking grate down right on top of the ring. So you get higher/lower temps using the vertical distance rather moving things side to side.

I have three spaced out grates on my WSM 18 (using the Cajun Bandit extended brackets). That is a very nice setup for grilling -- charcoal unit goes on the water pan brackets with two grate positions above. I thought I would use that for charcoal grilling (since I have a gasser but no kettle), but it just doesn't happen very often.

If I'm doing chicken wings or tri tip, I smoke for a while and then remove the middle section to sear/crisp on the ring.

All valid comments, thank you. I don't want to store another unit at the moment. I have a killer gasser right beside the WSM so no problem there. The grilling area on the 18.5 is about right for what I need at the moment... it's just me, my wife and daughter.. couple of burgers or chicken wings. I have designed a covered cooking area that will house everything and give me a nice working area and at that time I'll move up to a 22 smoker and add a kettle, I just spent a small fortune redoing my backyard, so this project will have to wait a bit. For now, the modified WSM works and spending $18 on a grill grate that will make things easier is perfectly acceptable.

Thank you for the link.. it says the grate is 18" and the stock grate measure 17.5" This is why I am inquiring.

For now, just put your whole charcoal unit (including ring) on the water pan brackets. For medium temps, cook with the grate in the top position. For high heat sear, just move the cooking grate down right on top of the ring. So you get higher/lower temps using the vertical distance rather moving things side to side.

For the first few test cooks I just left everything in the charcoal bowl and placed the grill grate on top of the charcoal ring. Worked fine, except placing the lid was less than ideal and the bottom vents are not useful because of how high they are relative to the coals.

Wsm holds up great to smoking temps. Will last forever

Grillings high temps will shorten its life. Like a grill

Burn off protective grease, cause chrome plated grates to rust.

I am thinking of getting a 17" charcoal grate (#7441) for my WSM 18.5" and putting it where the lower grate goes. Then putting 4 firebricks (2 x 1.25" on each side) then the OEM charcoal grate and ring on top of that, thus creating a 5.5" distance from coals to the top grilling grate.

Thoughts?

I replied in your other post.

Using the fire bricks to elevate the charcoal grate will potentially limit airflow from below, where the grate sits on the bricks. Might not be a big problem, but there are other ways to get to the same result without the bricks. Check out the link I put in your other post... And, above in this thread.

Chris— there’s lots of ways to rig the grates for grilling. Simplest is to use the standard equipment.

Coal grate and ring on water pan bracket. Top grate position is 8.5 inches away for lower heat. Grate on top of ring is 4.75 inches away for higher heat.

Thanks guys...

Was thinking that 8.5” is a bit too high and thought that the ring was only 5” tall so with coals inside the grate would then be less than 4.75 inches from the coals. Too low?

I have read the ideal distance is 5-7” from the coals for grilling....

Plus wanted to be able to grill on the top grate for various reasons.

Don’t want to do any drilling into the WSM as of yet and figured the firebricks might also have some use to do a snake method / spiral method of charcoal burn as well.

I am assuming firebricks can withstand being amongst burning coals and ash?

Chris— there’s lots of ways to rig the grates for grilling. Simplest is to use the standard equipment.

Coal grate and ring on water pan bracket. Top grate position is 8.5 inches away for lower heat. Grate on top of ring is 4.75 inches away for higher heat.

Standard Weber kettle gap is 5 inches between the metal. So the 4.75 inch stock ring is basically the same spacing as a kettle.

The 8.5 gap is for low heat. So you can adjust heat using vertical spacing (like a Santa Maria, park grill or hibachi) rather than using the side-to-side direct/indirect you'd use on a kettle with one fixed 5 inch height.

Why would you want/need to rig up a snake in the WSM? Since the snake method is the way to get a kettle to cook like a dedicated smoker like the WSM. Although some people do their minion method in the WSM by using a snake/spiral layout.

Chris A's link has a lot of good info on this topic.

Last edited:
@ChristopherC I know you prefer not to have another piece of equipment around, but have you considered just getting Smokey Joe? You could even set it on the top grate of the WSM while you are using it, and it would store away nicely.

Having said that, I read through this thread, and will be trying some of these ideas on my WSM as well, because, why not. I have a Performer, so necessity is not the issue for me. Goofing off is.

Ha!

I am pretty set on either the performer deluxe or the summit charcoal....just debating if I want to wait til we move and have a better patio area or deck. Right now I just have mostly grass in the back with a small 6x6 old patio stoneware outside the door. 10 acres but no patio!

I don't mind the money, I just want to make sure I use it to justify it to the wife....lol.

I can use my Summit 670 Propane in the meantime and try to whip up something that works for some charcoal flavor on the WSM. I am spoiled I guess...

@ChristopherC I know you prefer not to have another piece of equipment around, but have you considered just getting Smokey Joe? You could even set it on the top grate of the WSM while you are using it, and it would store away nicely.

Having said that, I read through this thread, and will be trying some of these ideas on my WSM as well, because, why not. I have a Performer, so necessity is not the issue for me. Goofing off is.

Ha!

I am pretty set on either the performer deluxe or the summit charcoal....just debating if I want to wait til we move and have a better patio area or deck. Right now I just have mostly grass in the back with a small 6x6 old patio stoneware outside the door. 10 acres but no patio!

I don't mind the money, I just want to make sure I use it to justify it to the wife....lol.

I can use my Summit 670 Propane in the meantime and try to whip up something that works for some charcoal flavor on the WSM. I am spoiled I guess...

Seems reasonable to me. Let me throw one vote in for the Performer. :)

Back