Grilling on the 18.5 WSM

Why the vote for the Performer?

I know you didn't ask me... Lol. But I've said many times on this board that the Performer with gas assist is the perfect single grill to own, in my opinion. I have 6 Weber grills but if I could only keep one, it would be the Performer every time. 100 out of 100 times.

The side table combined with the gas assist truly makes it the best charcoal grill on the market. Beauty is you can put the WSM on the end opposite the kettle and you essentially have a side table for your WSM too. And, you can use the gas start every time you grill or smoke in the WSM.

I am assuming the Summit Charcoal is definitely still a much better performer (lol) than the Performer?

I know you didn't ask me... Lol. But I've said many times on this board that the Performer with gas assist is the perfect single grill to own, in my opinion. I have 6 Weber grills but if I could only keep one, it would be the Performer every time. 100 out of 100 times.

The side table combined with the gas assist truly makes it the best charcoal grill on the market. Beauty is you can put the WSM on the end opposite the kettle and you essentially have a side table for your WSM too. And, you can use the gas start every time you grill or smoke in the WSM.

I am assuming the Summit Charcoal is definitely still a much better performer (lol) than the Performer?

I don't agree with that. Anything you can do on the Summit, you can do on the Performer. The Summit is a slightly better kamado grill than a Big Green Egg. Aside from using a little less fuel due to their ceramic/double walled designs, I don't really see the benefits of any kamado grill over the Performer especially when you consider the price difference. And, honestly I don't think it's even a close contest. MAYBE a kamado can be argued as a better smoker than the Performer (very debatable), but the Performer kicks their asses as a grilling machine. I would suggest the Performer Deluxe/WSM combo over any BGE or even the Summit every time. Not even close in my mind.

The Summit is pretty damn grill and if you just have to have a kamado style rig, then go with it. But, if you are actually interested in strictly performance and price, it's just not worth it to me. Especially since you already have the WSM.

I have to agree with Mike the performer (and it’s built in “side table”) is THE grill to have. Here is a picture of us using it to prepare wings for the wsm while grilling other foods on it. It is the grill we use the most.EDA933C7-3663-44D9-9F60-C3DF2836A218.jpeg

The reason I have what I have is that when I bought it, it was just right for the space and that was before the self igniter was in them. Then at some point my granddaughter thought she could lean on it “Snap”! So, for a couple of years u rigged it together because I’d been thinking about a better table design then I scored the burgundy 18” and the fire was starting as to how to “improve” the whole design.
This is how that turned out:E4D989FD-522F-4525-A42A-E15B4CCADED0.jpeg

Nice set up! Love the hinge on the burgundy 18. I just gave my father in-law a burgundy 18 last weekend...only one I have ever seen. Are they pretty rare or hard to find? I think mine/his is from 2000 based on date code.

Last evening I was expecting to be smoking some BBs for me, my wife and daughter, but last minute realignments left me home alone.. I had two small rib-eyes in the fridge along with the ribs... and some frozen burgers named after Long Island family whose son made it big as an actor.

Opted for the rib-eye. Ran to the market for an ear of corn and cold beverage(s). Used a handful of Kingsford Original Blue leftover from the prior cook and FoGo lump to make the balance of a three-quarter full chimney.

This morning I modified the WSM to be as grilling friendly as it could be expected to be...

Added modified shelf tabs to the straps with stainless hardware to match all the other hardware bits I have changed.
2020-08-08 WSM Grilling Mod 03.jpg

With the charcoal grate from the WSM22. Perfect fit.
2020-08-08 WSM Grilling Mod 02.jpg

Put the stock charcoal ring in place in a feeble attempt to manage where the coals would be placed. And replaced the grill grate with the one that has folding sides...
2020-08-08 WSM Grilling Mod 01.jpg

Grilled over direct heat to 135F internal. Let it rest and ended up with this....
2020-08-08 RibEye 08.jpg
2020-08-08 RibEye 10.jpg
2020-08-08 RibEye 11.jpg

I have been wrestling with different steak grilling methods all summer.. it was my quarantine quest. Nothing on the gas grill has come close to this steak. It was simply outstanding in every way... except size.. I would have loved one twice as big.

What did I learn?

Though I have a very respectable (and stupidly expensive) 48" Lynx gasser that has served me well for over two decades (did the first maintenance this year) It simply can't reach the temperatures needed to get a good sear. I see the error in my ways and though I haven't been grilling over coals since I was a kid, I am back with commitment.

While the modified WSM18 did an outstanding job, it's like using a screwdriver as a pry bar.. good until it isn't. Don't know if I could do a full meal on it given the anemic grilling area, but it will get me through the next few months. I have set plans for a covered cooking area in my yard, which will include a proper kettle. I don't know much about the models, but I have the winter to figure it out.

Last evening I was expecting to be smoking some BBs for me, my wife and daughter, but last minute realignments left me home alone.. I had two small rib-eyes in the fridge along with the ribs... and some frozen burgers named after Long Island family whose son made it big as an actor.

Opted for the rib-eye. Ran to the market for an ear of corn and cold beverage(s). Used a handful of Kingsford Original Blue leftover from the prior cook and FoGo lump to make the balance of a three-quarter full chimney.

This morning I modified the WSM to be as grilling friendly as it could be expected to be...

Added modified shelf tabs to the straps with stainless hardware to match all the other hardware bits I have changed.
View attachment 11288

With the charcoal grate from the WSM22. Perfect fit.
View attachment 11289

Put the stock charcoal ring in place in a feeble attempt to manage where the coals would be placed. And replaced the grill grate with the one that has folding sides...
View attachment 11290

Grilled over direct heat to 135F internal. Let it rest and ended up with this....
View attachment 11291
View attachment 11292
View attachment 11293

I have been wrestling with different steak grilling methods all summer.. it was my quarantine quest. Nothing on the gas grill has come close to this steak. It was simply outstanding in every way... except size.. I would have loved one twice as big.

What did I learn?

Though I have a very respectable (and stupidly expensive) 48" Lynx gasser that has served me well for over two decades (did the first maintenance this year) It simply can't reach the temperatures needed to get a good sear. I see the error in my ways and though I haven't been grilling over coals since I was a kid, I am back with commitment.

While the modified WSM18 did an outstanding job, it's like using a screwdriver as a pry bar.. good until it isn't. Don't know if I could do a full meal on it given the anemic grilling area, but it will get me through the next few months. I have set plans for a covered cooking area in my yard, which will include a proper kettle. I don't know much about the models, but I have the winter to figure it out.

Awesome looking meal and I couldn't agree more on the grilling over charcoal sentiment. There's just nothing better.

As for a kettle, just quit messing around and get either a 22 Performer with gas assist or a 26er. I've said many times that a 22 gas assist Performer is the single best grill you can own. You can troll FB marketplace and CL for a good used one. You'll never regret getting one.

That looks great.
Wife and daughter, but last minute realignments left me home alone.. I had two small rib-eyes
Whatever your secret let us know how you worked this out. Yes a cook this good needs twice the steak, but then it would not be as good...

Awesome looking meal and I couldn't agree more on the grilling over charcoal sentiment. There's just nothing better.

As for a kettle, just quit messing around and get either a 22 Performer with gas assist or a 26er. I've said many times that a 22 gas assist Performer is the single best grill you can own. You can troll FB marketplace and CL for a good used one. You'll never regret getting one.

Looking at it from a few perspectives... (i) Usable real estate, considering how much room I have on the gasser, and (ii) versatility, and available add-ons. My girls keep asking about pizza. I'd love cast iron modular grates with a griddle or the Weber Gourmet set (iii) Ash collection.. It's crazy windy here by the water, so proper ash collection is a must.

Looking at it from a few perspectives... (i) Usable real estate, considering how much room I have on the gasser, and (ii) versatility, and available add-ons. My girls keep asking about pizza. I'd love cast iron modular grates with a griddle or the Weber Gourmet set (iii) Ash collection.. It's crazy windy here by the water, so proper ash collection is a must.
Update....I have since added a 22" kettle. Kitted it out with all the usual accessories.. Vortex, SnS Deluxe, stainless grates, damper mod etc.

Now it's time to make another change... I am adding a Summit Kamado to the inventory and feeding the addiction.

Congrats on the new kettle. I have a 22 inch WSM that I set up to grill. I used bookcase shelf brackets that are mounted 5 inches below the cooking grate. I have learned that you have to reduce the volume under the charcoal grate.

What I did is leave the stock water pan in. Cover the stock water pan with an aluminum cover pan that I use when smoking. On top of those two items I have added a 3/16 inch thick stainless plate with approximately one inch of clearance around the circumference. This reduces the volume of space being heated.

Also when grilling I use the charcoal chamber to keep the burning charcoal from contacting the sides of the WSM. With the three intakes open about 1/2 way and the exhaust open fully I can grill at about 400°F.

Back