Grilling corn in foil. Any advice?

Linda

TVWBB Fan
Hi All! My yacht club is holding our annual Lobster Feast this Saturday and I have been appointed "Queen of Corn!" I'm usually a lobster runner and have not done this job before. I may or may not have help. The traditonal preparation, which I will not be allowed to deviate from, is rub the shucked corn with butter, season with seasoning salt, and wrap in foil. Then we grill the corn on our industrial strength gassers. My question is this: I'm doing corn for over 200 people, which I think I can handle, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. :eek: Any thoughts on how long to grill them? Should I turn the ears on four sides or turn them contantly as best I can? I'll take any advice or thoughts you may have to give me. thanks, linda

Linda,
That’s a lot of corn anyone to try and maintain. If I was to do that many ears, I would boil them in a water filled turkey fryer once done butter, salt, and wrap and then use the gasser as an over size warming tray.

Gary

Linda,
That’s a lot of corn anyone to try and maintain. If I was to do that many ears, I would boil them in a water filled turkey fryer once done butter, salt, and wrap and then use the gasser as an over size warming tray.

Gary
This is a great idea ! ^^^
I would want to enlist some help as well...the shucking and wrapping process alone is quite a bit of work.

The steaming will ensure an even heat and then warming/holding on the gasser should be just the ticket. No need to let the guests in on this little secret !

Also, being a lobster fest, I'll bet someone would loan you a large stock pot/strainer and a gas burner.

Last edited:
I'm not going to give advice Linda, just want to reiterate your statement for those who do not fully read your post.
"The traditonal preparation, which I will not be allowed to deviate from, is rub the shucked corn with butter, season with seasoning salt, and wrap in foil."

Hopefully more folks with experience using this method will chime in soon.
Not trying to rock the boat here. (sorry, couldn't resist. :)

That is the process I use, although I do it over charcoal (direct). Typically, it takes ten to fifteen minutes. I usually turn it every few minutes. The foil and butter sets it up for braising, rather than grilling.

I'm not going to give advice Linda, just want to reiterate your statement for those who do not fully read your post.
"The traditonal preparation, which I will not be allowed to deviate from, is rub the shucked corn with butter, season with seasoning salt, and wrap in foil."

To me, cooking corn in butter/foil doesn't taste as good as just spreading the butter on steamed corn. My go to recipe is to remove those stringy things, baste in olive oil and salt, re-assembling them with husks, and steaming them on the grill. A lot of work, but it's a labor of love. Or what you call, artisinal corn grilling.

I never cooked corn for 200 people, but I have done it in foil with butter and seasoning. If its over a medium hot fire I go about 30-40 minutes turning them every 8- 10 minutes.

Good Luck!

Linda, I understand your concern as the "cast in concrete method" is something you probably don't do yourself. I've worked some events where they did the same exact thing and I believe the reason is they don't want any char on the corn as a lot of people assume it's burnt if it's there. The other is for holding time. With the corn wrapped in foil and set out on a low heat holding grill it will stay hot and moist for a long time.

Here's what we did, prepare all the corn and wrap with the butter and seasoned salt cook direct on a medium /hot grill cook the corn about 10 minutes turning often, try a couple of ears to get your timing and heat range down. When steamed to the right temp and consistency transfer to one of the gassers at low/med heat indirect to keep warm and hold.

Not my idea of great corn but it works for large amounts spread out over time.

Good Luck!

I used to volunteer to grill at my Son's youth tackle football games. We used a large tow behind charcoal grill, but the timing and the way we did it should work on a gasser. Set up the wrapped corn in rows perpendicular to the grate rods leaving two empty space's at the front and back. Close the lid and cook for two minutes than using a large spatula roll the row forwards 1/4, close the lid and go two more minutes than roll the row forward 1/4 making it a 1/2 turn, two more minutes, than repeat by rolling backwards but this time go 3/4, than finish with one more quarter turn. I'd say 10-15 mins tops and than we held them in large cambros where they continued to steam.

Tim

I really want to thank all of you for your advice and tips for me on my little extravaganza! Although due to the prevailing "this is how we do it here" restrictions, I have to cook it the CBYC way, I've learned lots of good stuff and plan to try some of the tips at home. I feel confident that your tips will make my cook perfect!
What I didn't mention is that I don't have to shuck and prepare all the corn all by myself, so it's not all that bad! But I am the only cooker. Thanks again! You guys are the best! linda

Right On Bob!!

Back