GrillGrates Questions

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have a Genesis 320 and have been reading up on the GrillGrates. They are certainly getting high praise. I have a few questions for those of you who use them regularly:

1) Is there any advantage to covering only half of the grill with the GrillGrates? I would need 5 panels for complete coverage. Pretty pricey.

2) Do they handle indirect cooking for grill-roasting at lower temperatures well?

3) Are you grilling with the lid open or closed?

4) Would pellets or wood give the best smoke? Would you simply go with the foil packet of smokewood placed over the primary burner? I get lots of smoke for about 10 to 20 minutes but very little smoke flavor even when I use 3 cups of damp chips (mostly hickory or apple).

5) Will the GrillGrates do a good job with toasting buns or will the buns have a tendency to tip over into the crevices?

6) Is the grate tool necessary? It looks as if it would be handy to get the gunk out of the crevices / channels. Anyone actually use it to flip the food?

7) Do you really find that your food has more flavor, especially for burgers and steaks, or is it about the same as grilling on the regular grates?

8) Chris, are you planning an article about the GrillGrates for your Virtual Weber Gas Grill site, accessories section any time soon?

Thanks everyone,
Rita

Last edited:
1) I just bought the starter set of 2 13-3/4" grates and the tool. I might buy 1 more grate, thats all the room I need so far.

2) Yes

3) Closed

4) Wood pellets work fine right in the tunnel of the grates. They send a sample pack when you buy the grates.If using on the kettle I use wood chunks mixed in the coals.

5) Great for toasting buns, no tipping into cervices.

6) Grate tool comes with the starter set. It works very well and cleans well too. Still use tongs for sausages or hot dogs.

7) More flavor on my old Genesis Gold C and the kettle.

I really like my GrillGrates!

I have had three 13 3/4 GrillGrates for a couple of years and I really like the results I get with them whether on my charcoal Webers or on my Weber Q's for all the above reasons. Don't forget, use both sides for a great sear or flip em for great grill marks. Easy to clean and you don't get any flair ups.

I have a Genesis 320 and have been reading up on the GrillGrates. They are certainly getting high praise. I have a few questions for those of you who use them regularly:

1) Is there any advantage to covering only half of the grill with the GrillGrates? I would need 5 panels for complete coverage. Pretty pricey. right you are. I bought 2 grates a few years ago and that's all I have still. I lay them in long ways(side to side and I get a lot on them.

2) Do they handle indirect cooking for grill-roasting at lower temperatures well?
if I was cooking indirect , I wouldn't even bother with them. Can't see the advantage .

3) Are you grilling with the lid open or closed?
closed

4) Would pellets or wood give the best smoke? Would you simply go with the foil packet of smokewood placed over the primary burner? I get lots of smoke for about 10 to 20 minutes but very little smoke flavor even when I use 3 cups of damp chips (mostly hickory or apple).

5) Will the GrillGrates do a good job with toasting buns or will the buns have a tendency to tip over into the crevices?
just flip them over and use the flat side....this is great for burgers too. Just like a flat top.

6) Is the grate tool necessary? It looks as if it would be handy to get the gunk out of the crevices / channels. Anyone actually use it to flip the food?
it is good for scraping the gunk out....other than that I don't use it much.

7) Do you really find that your food has more flavor, especially for burgers and steaks, or is it about the same as grilling on the regular grates?

I can't say it affects the flavor except that since flare ups aren't charring the crap out of whatever meat you're grilling , you get more evenly cooked meat....and I guess that tastes better!

8) Chris, are you planning an article about the GrillGrates for your Virtual Weber Gas Grill site, accessories section any time soon?

Thanks everyone,
Rita
""."................

Rita:

I initially purchased 3 for my Genesis. Worked great. Ended up purchasing 2 more for complete coverage. I invert the last 2 so I have a flat surface rather than grill marks. Love them for creating a crust or toasting rolls. They tend to run very hot so toasting is quick!

No problem with indirect - just watch your temps as they run hotter.

Lid closed have never tried open

Have put chips directly in the ridges with good results

Grate tool good for cleaning do not use it for flipping.

Flavor is good can not say it is better

Another advantage I really like is the grease burns off and you don't have to worry about the grease tray as none ever gets there. (I have had several of the trays develope holes as I was not cleaning them often enough0

Overall this is a great upgrade to the Genesis!

I have my entire gas grill covered with grill grates - turns a below average gasser into a great grill. When doing direct cooking on my ranch i move them over onto the ranch. Perfect for keeping flames down on gas and charcoal. Lid closed. I've used the pellets in between the ridges on the gasser. I use the grate tool on delicate items like fish. I've given grill grates to friends and the product has turned them into grillers!

Great replies, folks, and very helpful indeed! I particularly like the suggestion of arranging the grates 3 up and 2 down for a flat area on a portion of the top.

Keep the comments coming. There are so many good ideas out there.

I can see these on my Genesis. I'm so easily swayed.

Rita

Last edited:
I'm so easily swayed.
Me too Rita, I just ordered the 3 pc. kit of 13.75" GrillGrates.
Mainly to use on the Performer and Santa Maria, but also on the only gas grill I have, a Weber Q 220.

I wanted to order through Amazon, even though Amazon is not the seller, they are sold there by GrillGrates.
Bottom line (numbers rounded) the kit was $70 plus $5 shipping on AMZ, and $60 plus $10 shipping ordered directly from GG, so that's where I ordered via PayPal.

Thanks for asking the questions Rita, and thanks to all the responders!

I think you'll really like the grill grates and the ability to use both sides. Heres my set up. Pics taken when I got them.

Very nice Nate. They look like a very good fit. For my Genesis 320, the 18.5" grates would be about 1 inch short front to back, and the 5-panel set would leave a 1/4 inch gap on each side when I put them on top of my existing grates, so they should be good even if they expand some when hot.

Bob, thanks for doing the price research. Five dollars price difference = a bag or so of chips or pellets. I checked for Georgia and unfortunately there IS sales tax. They say that they only have specials around Father's Day, July 4th, Memorial Day, & Christmas and there are no coupons out there at the moment. A coupon search suggests there might be some available on or after August 1st.

Anyone, are wood pellets small enough to fall through the holes? Do they give as good a smoke as damp chips?

I'm really not serious about getting these.

Rita

Last edited:
Very funny, Bob :)

I'm going to check again for coupons tomorrow though, Aug. 1 just to make sure. If I find any, I'll share them with you.

Rita

:D .... and everyone. Think positively!

i saw these on line and impulsively asked for them for Father's Day and at first I thought "well , here's another dust collector for the garage" ....but they really grew on me and I think what I like about them the most is how they eliminate flare ups and grease fires. Whether you're doing burgers on the flat side , or ( especially ) chicken on either side , there is virtually no worry about flames ruining your food (or removing your arm hair). And cooking steak on the rail side you get such awesome grill marks....very impressive to the guests. :cool:

I just watched Eating America on FN, and they were at the Magnolia Blossom Festival and World Championship Steak Cook-Off in Arkansas.
Lots of GrillGrates in action.
Mine arrive Tuesday, so I should be ready to compete next year. :rolleyes:
I will say this, cooking only one thing looks much more relaxing than bbq comps.

I just watched Eating America on FN, and they were at the Magnolia Blossom Festival and World Championship Steak Cook-Off in Arkansas.
Lots of GrillGrates in action.
Mine arrive Tuesday, so I should be ready to compete next year. :rolleyes:
I will say this, cooking only one thing looks much more relaxing than bbq comps.
Actually the Magnolia Winners for at least the last 5 or 6 years have used GrillGrates. I would love to take mine down there next May and give it a try.

My grates came today, they're nice and heavy duty.
Also included was a card with a 10% off coupon code for "friends & neighbors"
I just tried it, after placing a kit in my cart, and it worked. (then I removed the item)
So my friends, here's a way to save a little money if you plan to buy.
The code is: share14
be sure to click apply to make sure it works for you.

Back