GrillGrates Questions

Oooo Hoo, Bob! That's what I was waiting for. That will more than take care of the postage. Everything helps.

Thanks for sharing! Gobble gobble.
Rita, the patient turkey :)

You're welcome Rita!
Happy Dance!

the-dancing-turkey.jpg

One more question... My grill has sideways-oriented burners. Wouldn't having the GG run sideways be better for me than the front/back setup I see in most of the picks? I'm thinking one 5" GG longways over the front and back burners. That leaves a 7" section in the middle for indirect since my grilling area is 24" wide x ~17" deep

That means paying a bit more...

Am I over-thinking this?

-Tom in SoCal

Tom, I'm guessing that if your grate rails run from left to right, parallel to the front of your grill, you might have a bit of a problem with sliding a spatula under the food from the front side of the grill - it might not go under the food smoothly, especially fish, and it might bump up against the next rail. Maybe someone who already has them could check that for you.

Rita

Tom, I'm guessing that if your grate rails run from left to right, parallel to the front of your grill, you might have a bit of a problem with sliding a spatula under the food from the front side of the grill - it might not go under the food smoothly, especially fish, and it might bump up against the next rail. Maybe someone who already has them could check that for you.

Rita

Once you start to use the Grate tool that comes along with a GrillGrates starter set you probably will not need to use a spatula anymore, especially for fish.
The prongs of the tool let you lift the fish or food up and off of the grate without sticking. Be sure to oil the grate ridges with a paper towel before each use,
especially when they are new. As for which direction you run them, vertical or horizontal, both work fine. Enjoy your new grill toys.

Thanks for the coupon Bob. Made me finally pull the trigger for a couple of these for my gasser...

One more question... My grill has sideways-oriented burners. Wouldn't having the GG run sideways be better for me than the front/back setup I see in most of the picks? I'm thinking one 5" GG longways over the front and back burners. That leaves a 7" section in the middle for indirect since my grilling area is 24" wide x ~17" deep

That means paying a bit more...

Am I over-thinking this?

-Tom in SoCal

thats the the way I use mine and they work fine. I just have two. And my burners run front to back , but the grates won't fit that way....It takes a bit of getting used to flipping food , but you just kind of go under the food at a bit of a diagonal....and of course if you're using tongs , no problemo. And I usually do burgers and chicken on the flat side.

Tonight I did a simple cook on the grill grates. I used my standard set up with two fire bricks - a two zone fire. I was just grilling two "Butter Burgers" and a couple of ears of sweet corn. I only needed two sections of Grill Grates so that is what I used. I used the "Griddle" side of the grates for a superior "all over" crust on the burgers. I also toasted the rolls on the griddle. The Grill Grates gave me a wonderful all-over crust that was VERY tasty. We then put a slice of Vidalia onion and a nice spread of Maytag Blue Cheese right on the resting burger.

I have FINALLY found my PERFECT burger!! This was the best burger I have EVER done! My wife mixed up 1# of Costco fresh 80/20 with a half pound of ground pork. These were near half pound burgers with a large pat of herb butter (ala Stephen Raichlen) buried in the burgers. The burgers were oiled, then a generous application of Montreal Steak Seasoning was used. The Grill Grates, pre-heated for about six minutes direct and then cleaned and oiled gave me a better crust that anything I could have used.

Rita;
You're going to LOVE the Grill Grates but don't forget to flip them over when it is called for...

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. The Grill Grates do NOT eliminate flare up. It would be more correct to say that they greatly reduce the tendency towards "flare ups". Just didn't want to oversell a very useful tool. rdm

Last edited:
Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Those things are solid. Won't get a chance to use them until probably this weekend...

I removed my stock stainless grates from my Master Forge and replaced the entire thing with GrillGrates. Love them! One of the reasons I got this grill was for the sear burner on the right, but I never use it anymore, compared to the GrillGrates the sear burner is like cooking with a blow torch...
14812320290_6aa947c2b7_o.jpg
[/url]IMG-20140821-00114 by adsoden, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Realized I didn't answer the questions -
1) I think they are an investment that will outlast my current grill. Anodized aluminum, should last a lifetime.
2) Yep!
3) Closed.
4) I've used chips, but gas grills aren't like smokers, or even kettles. They don't trap the smoke, they have high airflow so it will be tough to get the smoke flavor to penetrate your meats.
5) They work, crevices are not that wide.
6) I love the tool, it does help get food off without sticking or tearing when the grates are new and not yet seasoned, and it fits perfectly between the rails for cleaning out debris and keeping the holes open.
7) I think the food comes out jucier and the flare ups that can burn your meats are eliminated!

Back