GrillGrates Kryptonite?

Cee El

TVWBB Super Fan
73/27 ground beef! We picked some up and made burgers yesterday, and I decided to use the GrillGrates on my gas grill. Somewhere around the first quarter turn for diamond grill marks, the flare ups began. I couldn't really stop them. They would come from the sides and light the whole grates on fire. I handled them by turning off the burners under the grates and moving the food to the cool side until things subsided. When I put the burgers back on I noticed how quickly things would start again. There was grease (fat) running continuously from the burgers onto the grates, and it was more than the little holes could handle, which caused my flare ups. I didn't burn anything, but I learned to use less fatty meat next time.

Wow, I've never had that happen with the GGs. But then again, I generally use them on the flat side. What was the fat content in the ground beef?

73/27 is very fatty and will give you fire no matter what kind of grate you're using. Next time try 83/17 from Costco, their ground beef is the best.
Eat well cook better.

Bill

It happened to me too!
Too much fat drippings and flames all over !
It happened with steaks

Leftover grease from those burger actually ruined some chicken wings I did yesterday. Again, the whole grate caught fire. Time to clean them.

I also use Costco ground beef, no flare ups and great taste. If your grill has a lot of built up stuff down below once that grease catches fire it will lite up everything else down there too.

I also use Costco ground beef, no flare ups and great taste. If your grill has a lot of built up stuff down below once that grease catches fire it will lite up everything else down there too.
I had a couple wood chip packets go up in flames, too. Probably a telltale sign. Thanks.

If you start with a nice hot fire, let it burn the old crud off, then use the grates. It works for me, but then again I don't use 73/27 either.

80/20 is the way to go. I never do the 70 or 90 stuff myself ones to greasy and the other is to lean and makes dry hamburgers.

I pretty much only buy hamburger from one place anymore but I might try Costco's again.

There's 3 choices: ......or so...... chuck, round, &.............. ? I normally go for ground chuck.

I pretty much only buy hamburger from one place anymore but I might try Costco's again.

There's 3 choices: ......or so...... chuck, round, &.............. ? I normally go for ground chuck.

Ground sirloin, or ribeye. Or grind your own so you know whats in it.......

Ground sirloin, or ribeye. Or grind your own so you know whats in it.......

I might buy a grinder. I'm not near a Costco, and one store here yesterday had a bunker full of 73/27. The 80/20 I found at BiLo was $4.89/lb.

Back