Grillgrate

GG itself sells a stiff sharp metal scraper with several sharp points to dig into the joints.

So the manufacturer doesn't think metal on metal scraping is a problem.

IMO, I'm good with my painter tool (basically a flexible non sharp putty knife) so long as I don't scrape in a crazy furious rage.

Been doing that metal on metal scraping for 3-4 years with no problem. If I get too crazy, I sometimes wind up taking off too much of the desire-able seasoning. As long as you still see black after scraping, you are nowhere near bare metal.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I can see how that painter tool would work. I guess what I like about the wood is that it seems less likely to damage the anodized coating. If that comes off then you are cooking directly on raw aluminum.

I agree Jon. An anodized coating is very tough. But I can't imagine it would hold up indefinitely to a metal scraper.

It won't hold up to much at all actually. Nearly all of my original old (read VERY expensive made in USA) Calphalon pieces the anodizing has worn off on. Many of the pieces from very mild cooking stress i.e. making stock, boiling water, or cooking vegetables. Anodizing is not all it's cracked up to be under cooking conditions.

I would note that the GG manufacturer sells a cleaning kit that includes a sharp metal scraper. And a brush made out of SS springs. And also provides another all metal fork/spatula for scraping out the valleys.

Wouldn't think they would do that if the coating was so very fragile.

YMMV.

I would note that the GG manufacturer sells a cleaning kit that includes a sharp metal scraper. And a brush made out of SS springs. And also provides another all metal fork/spatula for scraping out the valleys.

Wouldn't think they would do that if the coating was so very fragile.

YMMV.

I'll report back on how mine hold up. I actually got mine in used condition from a kettle I bought. Not sure how old they are, but they seem to be in good condition. Not sure how often I will use them, but i will for sure be bringing them whenever I go on vacation in case the rental house has a crappy grill....at least the GrillGrates can help out a little.

I'll report back on how mine hold up. I actually got mine in used condition from a kettle I bought. Not sure how old they are, but they seem to be in good condition. Not sure how often I will use them, but i will for sure be bringing them whenever I go on vacation in case the rental house has a crappy grill....at least the GrillGrates can help out a little.

Kyle,
That is probably one of GrillGrates better attributes: taking a poor, or so-so, grill and making it very usable. That is why I say with a 13-bar earlier Genesis they are probably not nearly as much of a benefit. Still, on any grill they will make it more forgiving. If you like the razor grill marks, then all the better. A "crutch?" Probably so. But that never stopped me from wrapping ribs and pork shoulders to improve results!

GG itself sells a stiff sharp metal scraper with several sharp points to dig into the joints.

So the manufacturer doesn't think metal on metal scraping is a problem.

IMO, I'm good with my painter tool (basically a flexible non sharp putty knife) so long as I don't scrape in a crazy furious rage.

Been doing that metal on metal scraping for 3-4 years with no problem. If I get too crazy, I sometimes wind up taking off too much of the desire-able seasoning. As long as you still see black after scraping, you are nowhere near bare metal.

YMMV.

"Crazy furious rage"? That made me laugh out loud. 😊

Back