Grillgrate

Jon,Good to hear from you. Yes this grill gets hotter than the hinges of hell! I'm thinking on a hot day it will easily climb to 1100-1200 deg! BTW.
I will try the smoker box below the grate. That seems like it should work.
Also, I installed a gap grate so the grates are tight fit end to end. I do not buy in to the too much heat buildup theory since if it gets to hot then turn it down. Simple. Brad at grillgrates has his weber genesis fit the same way.
I do agree with you on the aluminum, since I believe it is not good to ingest.
His claim that the entire surface becomes infrared seems logical. All char broil does is install a ss plate under the grate and call it a day.
With this LX, I also never run past 3/4 since there is no need to. There is no doubt that gg save on fuel.
I like your picture of that cook out, I must say my results look the same.
The SmokeFire seems like it could be a one size fits all since it can hit 600 deg to sear.
I would like to add one comment about sear temperature. As I see it, a lot of reviewers chide Weber for their low sear temperature. Weber has written a good paper on this topic and since I have been all over the sear temp scale, I agree with Weber's paper on searing. I do not need 1800 deg

Michael: Just be advised that the melting point of aluminum is just over 1200 degrees. And I am thinking that temps approaching 1000 will run the risk of warping a cook box.

Jacob, Good comments. I believe there is enough heat to reach Millard reaction, however I find you cannot get a nice crust. For that to happen, I use my ss or cast iron. When I purchased my gg in the old days, Brad answered the phone and took the orders so I got to spend some time talking with him and he stated that if I like my steaks with a crust and mahogany color, do not use gg. My order was for a set for my kettle.And clean up can be a issue

Bruce, Thanks for your comment. I should clarify that I never go past 650 deg when using gg as you are correct about warping. As far as when I cook with ss or cast iron, I sear at about 500- 550 as read on the grill thermometer, I just went to 1000 deg to see what this LX was capable of. And as I see it, if I turned all knobs to the right full tilt boogie, there would no doubt be serious warpage. I hardly ever use the boost mode on this grill, only when the ambient drops below 40 deg. Your point is correct and well taken. Bruce thanks again for your comment and observation.

LMichaels, When I quoted the 650 temp of the gg, that is the temp I measure at the gg top rail, not the hood temp. I must admit Bruce woke me up relative to 1200 deg melting point. This caused me to go back and take a few measurements of the firebox and check for square! Most of the time when I use gg I cook between 425- 600 deg at the top rail.I purchased this LX new for $702.00 out the door and delivered. I knew it got a bad rap in the reviews so I thought if it didn't come up to temp, I would fix it. Well it exceeded my fondest expectations!
Just a side note, I always remembered that tommy hawk steak you grilled, the picture always stood out to me.

As I recall, the thread was about how to grill a steak, and I thought here is the perfect example! It inspired me to go out and stock up on them. I have a good supply of those, 2-3 inches thick! I buy only prime grade.

Well, the last ones I purchased from our local grocery store, Smiths. They have a butcher shop built in so I'm good friends with butcher. I wait until no one buys them and they lower the price, then I go in for the kill. The last ones I purchased were $11.00/Lb and prime. There are many local standalone butchers near where I live, and I purchase the whole tenderloin or New York strip and cut them myself. I also find them at Costco and not a bad price.

Just did a beautiful ribeye prime last night on my Genesis with heavy stainless rod grates. Sorry I ate the evidence. Perfect crosshatch grill marks AS WELL as a perfect overall crust and sear. Bottom line. Buy good food, have a good grill and learn how to cook :D

Ha, so you ate the evidence. Shame on you. LOL. I agree with your last post except trade in your beautiful SS and get GG and start enjoying more tender and juicy food. Amp up your grilling
Hope all is well in your area, it was great talking with you. Best Regards, Michael

Yeah evidence gone. Wife and I had a nice quiet supper on the deck. Just at dusk. Had some nice fresh sweet corn, fresh broccoli, a nice garden fresh tomato, basilico and fresh mozzarella salad as well. Beautiful night, perfect temp, light breeze, perfectly done steak. Could not help to eat the evidence.

For you guys with the GrillGrates.... I'm bringing my set up to a friend place this weekend to cook some smash burgers.

I typically do smash burgers on a flat griddle. Do the small holes on the flipped over GrillGrates create any issues with smash burgers?
I'm a pretty aggressive smasher, so thinking the meat might push through the little holes?

Normally I cook some bacon to start, to get things a little greasy....then throw the ball of meat on, smash it with my flat spatula with parchment paper in between to avoid sticking, then flip when the releases from the griddle....add cheese and when cheese is melted pull the burger off.

I gotta do some smash burgers one of these days. What is the best kind of burger to use for making them?
70/30, 85/15/ 93/7????

Back