Grilled some Loin Chops on the Q2200

You guys better be careful. I had mine turbo charged (not intentionally) and it melted the mounts to the plastic legs and dropped down about an inch. I left it on over night after forgetting to turn it off after doing a burn off after a cook. It got in the 600+ range at full temp. If my grill had kept going, it might have collapsed and started my deck on fire.

Bruce, I always turn my grill off after the cook is done and burn it off and brush it on the warm up for the next cook out just to avoid this.

Pulled my camping Q2200 out of storage since it got in the low 40's in southern Minnesota today. I can't wait for camping season to start!
I cleaned it up a little and seared some Loin Chops at just over 600 degrees for three minutes per side, and a perfect medium 145 degrees.

View attachment 47803View attachment 47804View attachment 47805View attachment 47806View attachment 47807
Looking good Troy! How are the SS grates holding up? I got a set but haven’t tried them yet.

Richard, holding up great!! I do not miss rusty cast iron at all. Great sear marks and low maintenance. One added perk of the SS rod grates is the grill is much lighter for transporting on our many camping trips per year. The Q grills DO NOT need the heavy, rusty, high maintenance cast iron grates at all. I really believe they put these in to save money, and so they can sell you replacement grates over and over until people get wise and buy SS. You will notice the grill heats up faster and cooks amazing!!

Yah, when you are talking about a Q2xx grill they get quite a bit heavier with those CI grates which takes away from the "portability" aspect a bit. The one thing that having the beefy CI grates does for you is hold heat when you open your grill. I have a different style SS grate on my Q200 and I believe it is a bit heavier than those grates, but still not as heavy as the factory CI grates. The big benefit for me with SS is low maintenance and longevity and I really don't feel the lack of bulk hurts performance much at all. Not enough to make any difference for me anyway.

Bruce, I ordered a 100% 304 SS set like yours from Grillrost.com in Germany to try out on my Q320. Will let you know what I think when it gets here in a week or so.

Last edited:
Those are basically the exact same that I got for my Q200. Except mine were about half that price at the time. I think they were made by Stanbroil.

Richard, holding up great!! I do not miss rusty cast iron at all. Great sear marks and low maintenance. One added perk of the SS rod grates is the grill is much lighter for transporting on our many camping trips per year. The Q grills DO NOT need the heavy, rusty, high maintenance cast iron grates at all. I really believe they put these in to save money, and so they can sell you replacement grates over and over until people get wise and buy SS. You will notice the grill heats up faster and cooks amazing!!
Thanks Troy. I basically just use my Q3200 through the winter but the snow should be gone by next week and I can break out the Q220 which is what I bought the SS grates for.

Those are basically the exact same that I got for my Q200. Except mine were about half that price at the time. I think they were made by Stanbroil.
Yes, but these are made in Germany, and I have hopes that they will be noticeably better. Maybe not, but I will be very interested to hear how they look, feel and how much they weigh so we can compare. I have noticed them on eBay, but the price is pretty steep. It would be great if they are significantly thicker/better, otherwise no way.

I too will keep an eye on this. Though Bruce and I both bought the Stanbroil ones and I have to say I am EXTREMELY happy with them. One function with them I love is sausage & peppers. I can throw on a whole pile of peppers and sausage and nothing falls through. Sometimes even add some cut mushrooms. But, I often wonder if the better workmanship from the German craftsman and better material will equate to even better results

Larry, I am not so sure they are better craftsmanship or better materials. Plus, it seems like the areas over the burners is pretty small which could lead to the burners getting clogged up faster.

20200929_172905.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Just arrived today, will have to get them seasoned and figure out what I’m going to grill on them tonight

2A27838B-0AE1-4FCE-BA15-223CED366D31.jpeg

Last edited:

Back