Grilled smoked pork chops (bone in)

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I got to hankering for smoked pork chops (off the Weber OTG, of course
icon_biggrin.gif
).

Here are the two nice chops from our "local" butcher shop:

SmokkedPorkChops-1576_1600x1200.jpg

Here is my grill set up. Note, that I have a full chimney of coals (about half new briquettes and half used briquettes from the last cook. By putting them behind a couple of fire bricks, they are piled up right under the grill making for a very hot fire. My thinking is that with these relatively thin chops (1/2" as requested) they need to be seared quickly to avoid drying out the interior of the chops. My wife and I prefer nicely seared chops but moist inside. The smoked chops are already cooked and seasoned so all that is necessary to sear both sides (without drying the meat too much inside) for a VERY flavorful treat.

SmokkedPorkChops-1575_1600x1200.jpg

Here are the chops over the coals with first side finished:

SmokkedPorkChops-1578_1600x1200.jpg

Here are the finished chops on a serving plate - note the juicy appearance:

SmokkedPorkChops-1579_1600x1200.jpg

Here is one plated with the sides. My wife fried potatoes and steamed broccoli. She also furnished a side of home made apple sauce (not shown) and with VERY nice tossed salad topped with dried cranberries and served with a nice Vidalia Balsamic Vinegarette:

SmokkedPorkChops-1580_1600x1200.jpg

I might add, that even though the meal was simple that we thoroughly enjoyed it!

Dale53

Thanks, good people. I appreciate the kind words.

I am truly a "Pork Fan" and these smoked chops are extremely easy to grill and taste flat out wonderful.

Dale53

Everything looks great Robert!

I assume these were pre-smoked by the butcher?
My daughter is having some chops smoked from the whole hog they're getting.

Yeah, the chops were pre-smoked by the butcher. They are a perfect main course for our busy families these days. Throw them on a hot grill and they are ready to go in less than 10 minutes! What's even better is that they taste like you would hope something that took all day would taste.

Quick but EXCELLENT!

I am more than willing to spend the time when necessary, but I sure don't turn something down because it is also easy to prepare.

You can, of course, broil these in your kitchen range but you will NOT get those extra layers of flavor that charcoal grilling provides.

Dale53

My favorite smoked chops ever were a pack of Smithfields I picked up in the grocery store maybe 6-7 years ago. They were half price and had a sticker on to go to smithfield.com to win a prize. I won a cooler and thought nothing of it until a huge box arrived on my doorstep one day. I won one of those huge Coleman coolers with wheels on one end! Best $4 dinner I've ever had.

If you liked these, you really should try smoking your own. The storebought kind are probably cured and cold smoked, but a hot smoked chop done in a kettle is a delight in its own right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
Nice looking chops, bone in is the only way to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What that guy said.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael C.:
Wow!!! That looks really good! Nice grill marks too!! Thanks for sharing!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What HE said!

Back