Grilled garlic salmon

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I’m sure many of you are like me.
I’m impressed by complex recipes, brines, rubs, time consuming procedures, and overnight cooks. This cook is the complete opposite. It is so simple that it is hardly a recipe, but it is still one of my favorite meals.
First of all, you need access to excellent raw materials, and in this case it is salmon filets.
Salt the salmon about three hours beforehand, and rinse it before you let it dry on the counter to form a pellicle and to let it firm up a bit.

Brush on some melted butter with pepper and garlic, and then grill the fish, skin down for seven minutes. Do not move. Some flareups does not hurt the fish at all, it only burns the skin which you ar going to discard anyway. If you got a steady "butter fire", I'd rotate the fish away from the coals until it burns out.
Then flip the pieces over, and grill them for a couple of minutes more, maybe three, remove from the grill, and serve with potatoes and your choice of vegetables.

Compared to the time it takes to prepare and cook this, it is by far the best meal I make. I do this dish many times every year. I wish I could share it with the fish lovers of the forum.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Looks delicious, Geir! That's chopped garlic on the salmon fillets in the first picture, correct?

Your salmon looks great Geir! Will have to try your method as salmon is my favorite fish to cook. Thanks for the post.

Thanks Geir for the salmon idea!! I never thought about Pre-salting before...going to give this a shot this spring fer sure! Gotta get out and catch some kings now!

Great photos as well...nice post!

Perfect, Geir. Simple but perfect. (some info - a percentage of salt / for the weight of salmon / 3 hours?). You can cook at Noma restaurant;). You our northerners are very,very talented chefs. I am happy glad you are willing your skills (probably congenital) share with us.
BTW: What camera / lens are you using? Your photos are absolutely perfect. Great cook and photographer in one. THX Geir.

Chad- Yes, it is garlic. Some of it falls off, but you can add more. I hope that the garlic that falls off adds something to the final taste, but I'm not sure. :)

Paul- Greek salad, maybe, it is winter here in Norway, I just had these vegs in the fridge. Not much planned. Anything goes, even boiled cubed carrots, peas and so on.

Mike, a pellicle is among other things a thin proteine layer that forms on most meats if you salt them, rinse, and let the meat dry. It helps rubs and spices cling to the meat during cooking. It is very effective, when you "hit the spot" it's like you have covered your meal with glue. :)

And thank you for all the nice comments! I was really expecting this thread to dwindle away without a singe comment.

Mildo, you flatter me. I'm just a amateur. Regarding the amount of salt, I just don't measure on this dish. Just overdo it, as long as you rinse after three hours. Cover the fish in salt, so it looks white. As long as you add lots of salt, it works just fine.

Last edited:
Great looking salmon Geir! My wife and I love salmon and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it. Thanks for adding another one to the list

Wonderful looking salmon, Geir. I will have to try this. I love salmon, and I love the way you prepared yours. Great job.

Mike

Awesome "grillin'" Geir, butt Where's The GRILL? :p

The picture was not good at all, Mr. Lampe. When the sun is shining nowadays, and the ground is still totally covered in snow, the contrast between the black grill and all that white light becomes too much for the camera. I did not manage to get anything decent out of that shot.

Back