Grilled Chuck Roast

Mark Ritter

TVWBB Member
I thought I would try something I hadn't tried before. I had a couple of chuck roasts in the freezer and it was time to use them or loose them. So I thawed them out and made up dry rub for them. Then I slow cooked them over indirect heat at about 275° for 6 hours. I used a mixture of lump charcoal and briquettes and a little hickory. For sides, I did potatoes and carrots in cast iron skillets on my gas grill. We were very happy with the results. The roasts were pull apart tender just like pulled pork. I'm sure this will be on the menu again. Thanks for looking.

DSC006832560x1809.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC006812560x1707.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC006862560x1707.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC006952560x1707.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC007032560x1707.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC007092560x1664.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC007192560x1709.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought I would try something I hadn't tried before. I had a couple of chuck roasts in the freezer and it was time to use them or loose them. So I thawed them out and made up dry rub for them. Then I slow cooked them over indirect heat at about 275° for 6 hours. I used a mixture of lump charcoal and briquettes and a little hickory. For sides, I did potatoes and carrots in cast iron skillets on my gas grill. We were very happy with the results. The roasts were pull apart tender just like pulled pork. I'm sure this will be on the menu again. Thanks for looking.
DSC007092560x1664.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC007192560x1709.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These two pictures say it all------PERFECTION!!!

Man that looks guuud:) I have looked a chuck before and wondered...now I'm gonna try it;)

Go for it, Allen! I'm sure it will turn out great! As I said above, I cooked them a total of 6 hours, and for the last 2 hours I had them foiled, mainly just to catch the juices in case I wanted to use some of the juice to moisten the meet after shredding it. I'm surprised cooking chuck this way isn't more common. When you think about it, chuck roasts seems to have about the same fat content as pork shoulders, and therefore, in my opinion, are perfect for smoking this way. I'm going to do some this way again soon. And this time I'll have friends over for them to try it.

Mark this is beautiful! Why haven't you been posting more often? Very nice!

Thanks Rolf. I did post several times last summer, but got busy with other projects this summer and didn't spend as much time grilling and smoking as I would have liked to. I'm going to try to make up for that this fall.

Looks great. I am about to post a few pics of the chuck roast I cooked today.

Chuck is so darned easy and forgiving, like pork butt, and you get the good beefy flavor of a brisket. Folks who have not cooked it should really give it a try.

Looks great. I am about to post a few pics of the chuck roast I cooked today.

Chuck is so darned easy and forgiving, like pork butt, and you get the good beefy flavor of a brisket. Folks who have not cooked it should really give it a try.

I agree 100% Chris. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I've looked at them at the market and thought they should be good low and slow. Now I know!! The plated pics look amazing!! This is on my to do list for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Woof! Nice lookin samwich....melt a little pepper jack cheese on that...some caramelized onions? Whoo-wee!

Back