TVWBB Hall of Fame
OK, couldn't resist. Yes, here is another chicken recipe. lol

Grilled Chicken Thighs with Blackberry BBQ Sauce

1 TB. ground coriander
1 TB. smoked paprika
1 TB. kosher salt
8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
Olive oil
1/2 recipe Blackberry BBQ Sauce (recipe below)

1. In a small bowl, combine the coriander, paprika and salt. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels, season on both sides with the spice mixture and place in a gallon-size zip-top bag. Refrigerate for several hours but preferably overnight.
2. Prepare and preheat your lump charcoal grill to create two heat zones: high and low.
3. Brush the thighs with olive oil and place them skin side down on the hot side of the grill. Cover and cook for two minutes. Uncover and move the chicken to the low side of the grill, skin side up. Cover and cook until the thighs reach an internal temperature of 160, 15 to 20 minutes. Pour half the Blackberry BBQ Sauce into a medium bowl and use it to baste the chicken occasionally during the final 10 minutes of cooking.
4. Remove the chicken from the grill. Serve with the remaining sauce on the side.

Blackberry BBQ Sauce

3 pints fresh blackberries
12 oz. dark beer
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 habanero pepper, slit
1 TB. ground chipotle chile powder
1 TB. finely ground coffee
1 TB. ground coriander
1 TB. ground cumin

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. Carefully puree the sauce in a blender or food processor, then strain. Makes 2 quarts

Source: Food Network mag. May 2018 - Michael Symon's Playing with Fire cookbook

I will try this one, the BBQ sauce seems to be interesting, have you actually tried this sauce?

Sorry Eric I didn't see this earlier.

No, we haven't tried this one. Some years ago we did try another Blackberry Sauce on ribs. It received a Very Good rating from the both of us.

OK, couldn't resist. Yes, here is another chicken recipe. lol

Grilled Chicken Thighs with Blackberry BBQ Sauce

1 TB. ground coriander
1 TB. smoked paprika
1 TB. kosher salt
8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
Olive oil
1/2 recipe Blackberry BBQ Sauce (recipe below)

1. In a small bowl, combine the coriander, paprika and salt. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels, season on both sides with the spice mixture and place in a gallon-size zip-top bag. Refrigerate for several hours but preferably overnight.
2. Prepare and preheat your lump charcoal grill to create two heat zones: high and low.
3. Brush the thighs with olive oil and place them skin side down on the hot side of the grill. Cover and cook for two minutes. Uncover and move the chicken to the low side of the grill, skin side up. Cover and cook until the thighs reach an internal temperature of 160, 15 to 20 minutes. Pour half the Blackberry BBQ Sauce into a medium bowl and use it to baste the chicken occasionally during the final 10 minutes of cooking.
4. Remove the chicken from the grill. Serve with the remaining sauce on the side.

Blackberry BBQ Sauce

3 pints fresh blackberries
12 oz. dark beer
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 habanero pepper, slit
1 TB. ground chipotle chile powder
1 TB. finely ground coffee
1 TB. ground coriander
1 TB. ground cumin

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. Carefully puree the sauce in a blender or food processor, then strain. Makes 2 quarts

Source: Food Network mag. May 2018 - Michael Symon's Playing with Fire cookbook
YEAH!!!! We finally got around to trying this recipe.
DH made 1/2 of the recipe and we still have a nice supply of the sauce for something else. He did omit the habanero and cut back on the chile powder, used instant coffer, light beer and mistakenly used dark brown sugar. So I really don't know what it would taste like following the recipe to a T, but what DH made turned out very good.

Joan darlin’, recipes are just suggestions!
Tim baby, (lol) you should know me by now. From the days when I ran the Cooking game of the Week, my philosophy was, do it as written the first time so you can give a real honest review of the recipe and the source where you received it from. THEN, if you make it again, you can make your changes. So, after 10 years of doing that, it is hard for me to break the habit. lol But thank you for your support.

Worst ribs I ever made were with a blackberry barbecue sauce. I'm sure it's a good concept and I had a bad recipe, but I just can't bring myself to try blackberry barbecue sauce again on any meat!

Back