Grilled Brat Options?

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
I'mm going to grill a load of brats this evening.
I Usually braise them in beer until nearly done, then put them on the grill, direct, medium heat until they blister a bit, not letting them burst.
I like to serve them on buns with sauerkraut, cole slaw, as either condiments or sides, and baked beans fortified with some PP.
I would enjoy hearing any variations on this theme.
Any other methods or improvements?

...or Mike, you could reverse your method... grill first, then, with a foil container on the grill with beer, barbeque sauce, onions, peppers (add whatever you like)... finish the brats in the bath of all that goodness.
The brats can sit in this bath and removed as needed...
Personally, i'd skip the kraut.
icon_razz.gif

We've done this brat bath for eons during tailgate parties at County Stadium and Lambeau Field with great results.
Have fun!

Mike - I'm with Jim, as I especially like to indirectly smoke-roast my brats at about 350° for 40 min or so, then put them in a beer bath with onions and peppers, where they stay throughout the entire game or until they're gone. Makes a very nice smokey flavor!

Barret

Mike, your method is the one I use and I've found it 'perfect'.

But I'm definitely going to give Jim's a try.

There are any number of good ways to cook-up some good Brats.

Hey - I don't know who said it, but I gotta' agree: Variety is the spice of life

If you like Kraut with them, I like to grill them plain, over medium heat, and get the skins to crisp-up a bit.

Meanwhile, sautee some diced sweet onions in butter until they start to caramelize, then drain your kraut and add it to the onions. This sweetens it a bit, and prevents soggy buns.

Then, take a brat "hot from the grill", add some of the kraut/onion, then for the finishing touch -- I like to top with some good mustard. Be adventerous with it, or use the old stand-by: some nice, hot Dusseldorf stuff.

Wash it down with your favorite beer - for some reason, the beers from Wisconsin seem to work particularly well with brats.

Enjoy

Thank you guys.
I decided to go with 'braise after cook' style, though I decided to cook here, instead of Lambeau.
Right now they're nice and cozy in a hot bath of beer (Tecate-nice and hoppy), sliced onions and some of Prudholme's prepared rub.
I do like to add onions to the kraut, with some caraway seeds.
I am still partial to good old French's mustard, probably a holdover from my girlhood, watching the Hollywood Stars play the L.A. Angels.
'Huskers are gettin' ready to whup up on Kansas, so my evening is set.
Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
... the beers from Wisconsin seem to work particularly well with brats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_rolleyes.gif
Duh...

Very similar to original and second post, I like to grill carefully to mark them, then put in beer jacuzzi w/onions for at least an hour, then grill carefully at end without bursting. mmmmmmmm!

Back