Grill v. Smoker thermometer

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
In addition to a 18.5" WSM, I also own a 2 burner Weber Grill. It's only two years old and works great. I have noticed, however, that it has a similar (if not the same) type of thermometer on its hood as my WSM does. Now, with all the talk about the inaccuracy of the WSM gauges, can't the same be said about the grill ones? And, if they are just as inaccurate, how come no one makes a big stink about the grill ones being off too?

And, if they are more accurate than the WSM, anyone ever switch them out? I just took a peak at the one on my grill and it looks exactly the same...

Just some food for thought...

Update: did the boil test on the Weber grill thermometer. It's spot on 212f. Will be switching it to the WSM instead. If you own both covers, try it out!

Tim

Last edited:
I don't believe they are inaccurate.

I posted in the "Photo" forum re: some beef ribs and show a pic--temps with 732 and dome were within a couple of degrees of each other.

I can't believe I'm the only one with an accurate dome thermo.

Just a quick update about the switch: the thermometer from my WSM is now on my weber grill. While a boiling test assured me that the WSM therm. was about 10 degrees off, that's not the case with it on the grill. Now, when I grill, the original WSM thermometer is reading anywhere from 50-100 HIGHER than the old grill one. What gives? I hope these thermometers are not just compatible with a particular cooker!

Mines off by about 25 degrees. I prefer taking my temps down by the grate anyway, so no biggie to me.

Just a quick update about the switch: the thermometer from my WSM is now on my weber grill. While a boiling test assured me that the WSM therm. was about 10 degrees off, that's not the case with it on the grill. Now, when I grill, the original WSM thermometer is reading anywhere from 50-100 HIGHER than the old grill one. What gives? I hope these thermometers are not just compatible with a particular cooker!

The wsm therm doesn't deserve it's reputation. Although it's not rocket science, the biggest reason people knock it is a lack of understanding of what's going on inside the cooker. Basically, the issue is simply it's location, in that a full grate of meat will cause the gauge to read much lower than the heat that's hitting the top grate. The probe is also a little short if you ask me, but if I'm not mistaken, your issue is the nature of bi-metal gauges, themselves. They're are made or calibrated to be accurate at the temp they're designed for. For example, if your wsm gauge reads 212* in boiling water, than it should be pretty dang accurate at 250*. However, if your Weber grill gauge reads 212* in boiling water, than it should be more accurate at 350 than at 250*. If concerned with accuracy though, I'd get one of the remote grill therms like a Maverick. You can then either just hang it in the top vent or stick through the door or the side. I've got a couple of grommets on my 18.5" wsm, but will probably just cut a notch in the lip of my 22.5" cooker and lay the probe wire(s) under the side of the lid.

Last edited:

Back