Grill Grate Cleaning

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
Have any of you tried putting your WSM cooking grates in a self-cleaning over and turning it on for 1-2 hours? Any problems????

Thanks for your help,

Frank

Smoker temps in the WSM with the deflector ( water pan ) doesn't build up enough crud as a kettle.
Pretty easy to just brush them off, and no I never tried the SC cycle on the indoor appliance:)

Tim

Grill Cleaning

Thanks for the reply Tim.

Mine gets fairly cruddy. I was laid up with a bad hip implant/infection so I didn't touch the WSM for 6-8 months. Had the scrape and burn off the mold. Now trying to get the cooking grates as clean as possible with having to buy new ones.

Smoker temps in the WSM with the deflector ( water pan ) doesn't build up enough crud as a kettle.
Pretty easy to just brush them off, and no I never tried the SC cycle on the indoor appliance:)

Tim

Frank, we did the self-cleaning cycle on an oven and left the oven racks in (didn't say to remove them). They came out discolored but that's about it. I'm GUESSING that the Weber cooking grates are very similar in construction to standard oven racks ( similar gauge steel, plated not stainless, etc.). If they don't survive, replacement grates aren't THAT expensive. But if they DO survive, you have taught all of us here a valuable lesson!

The manual for my oven says to remove the racks when using the self-cleaning cycle, a major disappointment. I left one in the oven once, while cleaning it and that particular rack never again slid in and out of the oven smoothly without grabbing, so the heat must have affected the plating. Now I spay the racks with EZ-Off Oven Cleaner and put them in a large plastic trash bag (in the sun, for some heat) for several hours or overnight.

Rita

I was getting ready to use my 22 WSM yesterday and when I opened it up it just looked a little "funky". We've finally had some sustained wet weather and even though it's covered, there was a little rust and mold. I sacrificed about a half basket of briquettes and fired it off empty, everything wide open. Left the door ajar too. After an hour I pulled the water pan. It was empty of course and it got nice and hot and sanitized. Left the pan out at that point and let the smoker go, wide open, for several hours, until the charcoal ran out. Came out really good. The grates cleaned up great too. Ever since I got my 14 WSM I don't use the 22 as often. This just seemed like a good maintenance procedure to me.

Have any of you tried putting your WSM cooking grates in a self-cleaning over and turning it on for 1-2 hours? Any problems
You signature says you have a Weber gas grill. I have the "big Q" gasser, I take my grates out of my WSM & Kettles and put them on the gasser, crank up the heat full blast and brush the heck out of them. I don't do this after every cook, but no more than 3 cooks between a good brushing

Back