Grill doesn’t get as hot after changing quick disconnect to ACME nut

In the reviews, the seller replied that the thickness is 18 gauge, even though the description says 16 gauge.

Depends on your budget. There is no "right answer"
That’s weird. Is 18 gauge acceptable? I’m sure it’s better than 20 gauge.

I’d probably invest more for the 16 gauge only if they last much longer than the 18 gauge. Otherwise I would probably choose the 18 gauge for $23 or so cheaper

I don't have the long-running experience to provide any first hand data on longevity. All the ones I have found in rescues that were porcelain coated were rusted away and falling apart. Most of the SS flav bars are serviceable.

It looks like these are current price points for Silver B/C Spirit 700 bars:

$25 for 20 gauge
$32 for 18 gauge
$43 for 17 gauge
$54 for 16 gauge

IMO, 18 gauge is worth $7 more than the 20 gauge.

If it was a grill I planned to keep for a long time ( 10+ years) I'd buy 16 gauge.
If money was tight, I'd buy the 18 gauge and they'll probably last at least 5 years, maybe longer. Move them around occasionally as the burner positions will wear the flav bars differently.

I don't have the long-running experience to provide any first hand data on longevity. All the ones I have found in rescues that were porcelain coated were rusted away and falling apart. Most of the SS flav bars are serviceable.

It looks like these are current price points for Silver B/C Spirit 700 bars:

$25 for 20 gauge
$32 for 18 gauge
$43 for 17 gauge
$54 for 16 gauge

IMO, 18 gauge is worth $7 more than the 20 gauge.

If it was a grill I planned to keep for a long time ( 10+ years) I'd buy 16 gauge.
If money was tight, I'd buy the 18 gauge and they'll probably last at least 5 years, maybe longer. Move them around occasionally as the burner positions will wear the flav bars differently.
Thank you for providing that info! I’m suprised that 16 gauge could last 10 years vs 5 from the 18 gauge. Maybe the $20 is well worth it. The grill itself is in great condition so stainless is definitely the way to go.

I really appreciate it. I will either go with 18 gauge or 16. Money is a little tight now so I’m thinking 18 gauge. In 5 years I don’t think money would be tight (hopefully lol)

There is a signficant advantage to stainless, it's nearly completely resistant to corrosion (depending on grade, obviously.) I made a charcoal tray bottom for my old grill out of a piece of stainless expanded sheet. That lasted for 3 or 4 years before the rest of the grill fell apart around it (I still have the sheet in the garage.)
The bars are not 90 degree bends, something more like 110 ish. Plus the cuts are usually on a angle other than 90 degrees. And a hole drilled in the bars towards the ends. I don’t know why this is. I would think protecting the burner tubes and providing some surface area to deflect and burn the drippings should be easy enough to do.

That said, I did look at purchasing pre-bent stock at maximum length with dimensions that would cover east-west 13 bar and 5 bar grills and I would cut them to length The retail stock price still wouldn’t beat an aftermarket bar set on Amazon back before the pandemic

Flavorizer bars are just 90 degree Vs, right?

Personally, I'd figure out how much I need, buy a partial sheet, and have a local machine shop shear pieces and run them through a press brake. I'll bet it'd take him about an hour for all of the machine work. Yes, I know.... most people just don't have the tooling or know somebody locally to do this.

I'm just guessing on the longevity based on gauge of SS.
My grill went all the way around and got this hot. Is that normal lol for my grill. Seems so hot now but it’s not windy today

Attachments

• 56043685-4EA7-4753-8400-E6F303C0CF53.jpeg
    56043685-4EA7-4753-8400-E6F303C0CF53.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
Those thermometers aren't really renowned for their accuracy to begin with and that one could also be pretty old at this point. Your flavorizer bars are also at the end of their useful life which would contribute to hotter temps.

I agree with the above. Those therms are prone to going bad after a while. If you have a remote thermometer that you could test it with, that would be ideal. But, if you are really getting that hot, it is way too hot and you would probably be able to tell just by being around it.

Back