Grill doesn’t get as hot after changing quick disconnect to ACME nut

I dont think the acme connector inlet hole is an issue as long as it is at least big enough to allow the minimal gas flow that a grill needs which is pretty small actually. The gas flow is immediately tamped down by the regulator anyway and that is what controls the actual flow to the grill.

Flames look fine, flavorizers not so much:)
Does look like it's pretty windy in the video- doesn't appear to affect the flames, but might be keeping the temp down?
I NEED new bars soon. I was waiting until spring time to get some new ones. Are porcelain or stainless bars better. On one hand, the porcelain heats up hotter and faster and are cheaper but don’t last as long. On the other hand, stainless steel lasts way longer. I think…

Yeah so i don’t really know how much cold temps keep grill temps affect grill temps or heat up times. I wish there was a chart or something so like if it’s 30F, out the grill will work at “x” efficiency or will run a “x degrees”.

I can’t remember if my grill ran to 550 during the cold temps. There was one day I used my grill and the windchill was close to 0F but I forget how hot it really got.

I dont think the acme connector inlet hole is an issue as long as it is at least big enough to allow the minimal gas flow that a grill needs which is pretty small actually. The gas flow is immediately tamped down by the regulator anyway and that is what controls the actual flow to the grill.
I could imagine that if the regulator only puts out a very small psi of gas to the burners, the amount needed to feed into the regulator just has to be greater than what the regulator gives to the burners. I will try to run the grill during warmer temps 50f or so and see how it holds up.

On another note: would you recommend porcelain flavorizer bars or stainless bars? I hear that the porcelain allows the grill to get to a hotter temp and it also allows the grill to heat up faster. Longevity isn’t my main concern. I would just like it to get as hot as possible and as quick as possible. I would probably just go on Amazon and buy any brand of whichever material

Wind definitely keeps temps WAY down. Add in cold ambient temps and you will never see "normal" temps
Interesting. That’s why when I was younger, my dad used to never use the grill when it was cold out. It makes sense but I didn’t know it affected it that much.

I’m sure you can still cook a burger or whatever but a guy will use up more propane for sure.

On another note: would you recommend porcelain flavorizer bars or stainless bars? I hear that the porcelain allows the grill to get to a hotter temp and it also allows the grill to heat up faster. Longevity isn’t my main concern. I would just like it to get as hot as possible and as quick as possible. I would probably just go on Amazon and buy any brand of whichever material
OK, always use stainless when you can. Especially if the grill is a "keeper". As for one running hotter total fallacy

I NEED new bars soon. I was waiting until spring time to get some new ones. Are porcelain or stainless bars better. On one hand, the porcelain heats up hotter and faster and are cheaper but don’t last as long. On the other hand, stainless steel lasts way longer. I think…

Yeah so i don’t really know how much cold temps keep grill temps affect grill temps or heat up times. I wish there was a chart or something so like if it’s 30F, out the grill will work at “x” efficiency or will run a “x degrees”.

I can’t remember if my grill ran to 550 during the cold temps. There was one day I used my grill and the windchill was close to 0F but I forget how hot it really got.
Stainless, as thick as you can find or afford. 16 gauge if you can find them. 17 or 18 is OK. 20 gauge is thin.

I've not noticed a difference in time to get hot, but there might be a slight advantage to thinner ones.

Stainless, as thick as you can find or afford. 16 gauge if you can find them. 17 or 18 is OK. 20 gauge is thin.

I've not noticed a difference in time to get hot, but there might be a slight advantage to thinner ones.
so the only advantage to porcelain is the price? A thin porcelain bar will heat up the same as a thin stainless bar?

I would think that the thicker bars will heat up slower but maybe hold heat a little better?

O

Ok! I will try to look for thick stainless bars. Do I shop for them by grill name or by size?
I think some of the guys will be able to direct you to good source. Though Dave Santana (AKA RCPlanebuyer) makes excellent ones. I am still using ones my dad had fabricated by a sheet metal guy he was friends with many years ago. I think they're about 20+ years old and still no sign of giving up

I think some of the guys will be able to direct you to good source. Though Dave Santana (AKA RCPlanebuyer) makes excellent ones. I am still using ones my dad had fabricated by a sheet metal guy he was friends with many years ago. I think they're about 20+ years old and still no sign of giving up
Wow 20+ years. That’s amazing. Do you know what gauge that metal is that your dad used?
I’ll give that guy a reach

There is a signficant advantage to stainless, it's nearly completely resistant to corrosion (depending on grade, obviously.) I made a charcoal tray bottom for my old grill out of a piece of stainless expanded sheet. That lasted for 3 or 4 years before the rest of the grill fell apart around it (I still have the sheet in the garage.)

Flavorizer bars are just 90 degree Vs, right? Personally, I'd figure out how much I need, buy a partial sheet, and have a local machine shop shear pieces and run them through a press brake. I'll bet it'd take him about an hour for all of the machine work. Yes, I know.... most people just don't have the tooling or know somebody locally to do this.

@ChrisArgentino is this for a Silver B/C type grill? I thought you had a 1000, but from your video it looks like the control panel is 8101 and it is a 5 bar grill not a 13 bar grill.

There are lots of 18 and 20 gauge SS bars on amazon. If you are fixing it up to sell, the buyer may or may not value the thicker gauge.

For a keeper, I'd want 17 or 16 gauge.

If it's a 5 bar silver B/C style cookbox here is a set of 17 gauge for $43.

I found these when searching for 16 gauge for $54. Free shipping if you order from their website. $9 shipping via amazon.

If it were for me, for a keeper I'd spend the extra $11 on 16 gauge.

Flavorizer bars are just 90 degree Vs, right? Personally, I'd figure out how much I need, buy a partial sheet, and have a local machine shop shear pieces and run them through a press brake. I'll bet it'd take him about an hour for all of the machine work. Yes, I know.... most people just don't have the tooling or know somebody locally to do this.
It's less than 90. I haven't measured with a protractor. I don't know anyone at the moment working in fab that has a brake, but making these shouldn't be rocket science, but if one has to pay a shop for the work, I'm not sure it would be cheaper than buying a set listed above.

YMMV

@ChrisArgentino is this for a Silver B/C type grill? I thought you had a 1000, but from your video it looks like the control panel is 8101 and it is a 5 bar grill not a 13 bar grill.

There are lots of 18 and 20 gauge SS bars on amazon. If you are fixing it up to sell, the buyer may or may not value the thicker gauge.

For a keeper, I'd want 17 or 16 gauge.

If it's a 5 bar silver B/C style cookbox here is a set of 17 gauge for $43.

I found these when searching for 16 gauge for $54. Free shipping if you order from their website. $9 shipping via amazon.

If it were for me, for a keeper I'd spend the extra $11 on 16 gauge.
I thought I had a 1000 too lol. But it turns out it is a spirit 700 I think. I found some on Amazon (16 gauge for $32. How does it look? I don’t know what grade stainless steel it is. Is 304 the best grade? Or 448?

Votenli S753F(5-Pack) 22 1/2" Stainless Steel 7536 7537 16GA Flavorizer Bars for Weber Genesis Silver B and C, Spirit 700 Weber 900 (22 1/2 X 2 1/4") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q73KNGS/?tag=tvwb-20

I thought I had a 1000 too lol. But it turns out it is a spirit 700 I think. I found some on Amazon (16 gauge for $32. How does it look? I don’t know what grade stainless steel it is. Is 304 the best grade? Or 448?

Votenli S753F(5-Pack) 22 1/2" Stainless Steel 7536 7537 16GA Flavorizer Bars for Weber Genesis Silver B and C, Spirit 700 Weber 900 (22 1/2 X 2 1/4") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q73KNGS/?tag=tvwb-20

In the reviews, the seller replied that the thickness is 18 gauge, even though the description says 16 gauge.

Depends on your budget. There is no "right answer"

Back