Grill doesn’t get as hot after changing quick disconnect to ACME nut

My grill had a quick disconnect attachment and I just changed it to an ACME attachment. Upon using the new tank with the acme fitting on it, i noticed that it won’t get as hot as it used to. It used to get to 500-550 and now it won’t get past 450. It also takes longer to heat up. Why might this be?

It shouldn't be any different so start with the simple things first. Is the tank open all the way? Do you have another tank to see if it's the tank? Did you somehow impede gas flow when you put the acme nut on with too much pipe dope or tape? Is the acme nut tightened on the tank all the way? Were the valves on the grill all closed when you turned on the gas at the tank? Any or none of these these things could cause a problem. It could also be a bad regulator if nothing else solves the problem.

It shouldn't be any different so start with the simple things first. Is the tank open all the way? Do you have another tank to see if it's the tank? Did you somehow impede gas flow when you put the acme nut on with too much pipe dope or tape? Is the acme nut tightened on the tank all the way? Were the valves on the grill all closed when you turned on the gas at the tank? Any or none of these these things could cause a problem. It could also be a bad regulator if nothing else solves the problem.
The tank was open all the way. I did 5 wraps around with Teflon tape. The acme nut was tightened all the way. The valves were closed when I turned on the tank. I do have another tank I could use. I’m either thinking that it was too much Teflon tape, or the tank. The regulator was working perfectly before.

I should tighten the acme but until it stops right? So pretty tight?

Done correctly there should be no difference in gas flow
Good to know. I’m thinking it’s either the tank, or I put too much thread tape on the threads but I don’t think I did. I did it 5 times around and made sure I didn’t block the part where the gas flows

One big mistake I see with tape is over use and then it gets into the opening. Also have a look at the end of your acme fitting. I have seen some where the gas hole is so tiny that they don't flow correctly. And I have no idea why they're made that way. I have done an awful lot of those conversions with no issue both with tape and with dope. With no issue. First check the inlet of the fitting. If all you see is a pinhole odds are you found the issue. If that is ok, pull everything apart and start over being very careful about getting tape or dope in the fitting itself

One big mistake I see with tape is over use and then it gets into the opening. Also have a look at the end of your acme fitting. I have seen some where the gas hole is so tiny that they don't flow correctly. And I have no idea why they're made that way. I have done an awful lot of those conversions with no issue both with tape and with dope. With no issue. First check the inlet of the fitting. If all you see is a pinhole odds are you found the issue. If that is ok, pull everything apart and start over being very careful about getting tape or dope in the fitting itself
The hole did seem small when I installed it. I included a picture of what it looked like. It’s smaller than other ones I am seeing on Amazon. Which brand do you use? This is the acme fitting I used:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That acme nut doesn't appear to be any different than the one that's on one of my grills, but who knows? When it became time to get rid of my quick connect fitting I just replaced the whole hose and regulator. It sounds like you have it narrowed down some.

That acme nut doesn't appear to be any different than the one that's on one of my grills, but who knows? When it became time to get rid of my quick connect fitting I just replaced the whole hose and regulator. It sounds like you have it narrowed down some.
Here’s a pic of other ones I’ve seen on Amazon (this is where it threads into the regulator). it seems the right size vs the one quick disconnect that came off my regulator originally.

Attachments

• 56D31D9B-F349-40E2-925B-47D8294ECA99.png
    56D31D9B-F349-40E2-925B-47D8294ECA99.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 8
Here’s a pic of other ones I’ve seen on Amazon (this is where it threads into the regulator). it seems the right size vs the one quick disconnect that came off my regulator originally.
Yeah, I think that part of it is universal. Where there could be a difference is in the amount of gas that can flow into the grill, but I don't know that for a fact. I'm just guessing at it if you haven't figured out the problem yet.

Yeah, I think that part of it is universal. Where there could be a difference is in the amount of gas that can flow into the grill, but I don't know that for a fact. I'm just guessing at it if you haven't figured out the problem yet.
It seems like because this acme nut has a smaller hole, it won’t let enough gas in and that’s probably not letting it get as hot? Maybe I should buy one with a bigger opening and that will fix my issue?

The hole I wondered about is on the inlet side. That actually enters the tank valve. I have seen some where it was just a tiny pinhole

The hole I wondered about is on the inlet side. That actually enters the tank valve. I have seen some where it was just a tiny
Ohhh. If we are talking about the side that screws into the tank, this one I got has a bigger hole than most of them that I’ve seen on Amazon. Just the side that screws into the regulator is large on the Amazon ones while the other side is a tiny pinhole. The one I bought from tractor supply has a smaller hole on the regulator side vs the Amazon ones but a bigger hole on the tank side. So I’m guess that this isn’t the issue. Another thing to mention is that it was cold when I tested it. Idk why I just thought of this lol

The first pic you posted of the acme nut, with the smaller threaded orifice, looks to me to be a fitting used for a higher pressure rating than your set up. It could be restricting the demand that you need. What is it’s pressure rating? I can’t make it out in the pic.

The second pic of the larger bore threaded end looks a lot better and will give you a better flow rate for your needs. Rated for 230psi.

Just out of curiosity, what pressure are those bottles filled up to?

Last edited:
s
The first pic you posted of the acme nut, with the smaller threaded orifice, looks to me to be a fitting used for a higher pressure rating than your set up. It could be restricting the demand that you need. What is it’s pressure rating? I can’t make it out in the pic.

The second pic of the larger bore threaded end looks a lot better and will give you a better flow rate for your needs. Rated for 230psi.

Just out of curiosity, what pressure are those bottles filled up to?
The only thing it says is rated for 80,000 BTU. But the product is made for propane grills and even has a picture of a grill on the instructions.

My tank is from blue rhino and the website says at 70 degrees F, it will be about 145psi but the regulator will reduce it down to 2 psi. I would think that because the regulator reduces it to 2psi, it wouldnt be that important.

s

The only thing it says is rated for 80,000 BTU. But the product is made for propane grills and even has a picture of a grill on the instructions.

My tank is from blue rhino and the website says at 70 degrees F, it will be about 145psi but the regulator will reduce it down to 2 psi. I would think that because the regulator reduces it to 2psi, it wouldnt be that important.
2 PSI is WAY WAY higher than what grill uses. Your grill should run at 11" WC and that equates to just about .5 PSI (1/2 PSI) not 2. If you ran it at 2 PSI it would look like a fighter jet with afterburners lit

2 PSI is WAY WAY higher than what grill uses. Your grill should run at 11" WC and that equates to just about .5 PSI (1/2 PSI) not 2. If you ran it at 2 PSI it would look like a fighter jet with afterburners lit
Lollll that’s what the website says. It’s weird because my acme attachment has a bigger inlet than others that I’ve seen on Amazon but it has a smaller outlet than others I’ve seen on Amazon. Would this affect anything? I have a video of the grill burners on high. It maybe seems like the flame is kinda getting blown out or kind of uneven?

Here is a link to the video :

Back