Greetings from the land o' tall corn

CMorris

TVWBB Member
Hello!
I literally stumbled upon this forum when I saw a write-up of the smokey joe to mini-wsm mod randomly one night and sort of fell down the rabbit hole I guess. It's been eye opening and has inspired me to take my backyard cooking to a totally different place.
While previously I'd been happy with throwing a cast iron smoker box with some wet chips on my cheapo gasser, the idea of taking a $30 grill and turning it into a functional smoker was too much to pass up, so my 9 year old & I set out to source the parts & took it on as a father-son project. That first low & slow Boston Butt was a real eye-opener, I had never really "gotten" the fascination with Q before that, but when I tasted the smokey salty spicy goodness of fresh pulled pork melding with the creamy coleslaw... well my jaw dropped and I was rendered speechless (which as my boy will tell you seldom happens).

Fast forward through a few more butts, a bacon fattie, a couple batches of ABTs & a few drunken chickens and I realized I simply had to have better control over the temps without spending the whole day fussing with the vents and so I dusted off the soldering iron and ordered up the parts for a heatermeter ATC.

One more father-son project later & we were able to treat the extended family to the best backyard BBQ any of them had ever had over the Thanksgiving weekend, followed by a couple of lovely bison sirloin roasts smoked to medium rare in the days following... I figured it's finally time to say "howdy" to the great folks here who have put in the effort to share those 2 projects and the countless recipes and food pr0n photos I've read and looked at while waiting for parts and such. so.. Howdy!

tl;dr Saw the mini-wsm project, made one, fell in love w/ smoke cooking & am never ever looking back.

-Christian

Last edited:
Looks like you figured out what BBQ is all about: Family, friends and fun. Welcome to the group.

Welcome Christian. Glad you are here.

What is "the land of the tall corn". Based on my experience that would be New Jersey as they have always produced the best corn I have ever eaten. Is that where you are from?

Or are you from the midwest?

Ray

Thanks for the warm welcome, all.
Ray, I'm in Iowa, "The Tall Corn State" is one of the many unofficial nicknames for the state.

Welcome Christian. Glad you are here.

What is "the land of the tall corn". Based on my experience that would be New Jersey as they have always produced the best corn I have ever eaten. Is that where you are from?

Or are you from the midwest?

Ray

Welcome aboard. Sounds like with experience like that you're gonna enjoy it around here. Look forward to your cooks.

Back