Great results for low fuss?

Jim W

I'm helping out with a big neighborhood event in a couple of weeks. Last year I helped with the same event and smoked about 60 pounds of pulled pork the day before and 40 pounds of top round the day of.

This year the itinerary changed and the dinner is after the band performs and all of the other fun stuff. I'll still do pork the day before, but I want something easier than the top round for the day of the event. The top round was easy enough to smoke, but it had to be sliced right before serving. I don't mind doing some work early in the day, but whatever I do needs to require little effort shortly before serving. I would prefer to use my WSM for everything, but I am open to grilling (the best suggestion I got offline was grilling brats early and transferring them to a beer and onion bath). Any ideas?

I can't think of anything that takes less effort (at serving time) than ribs. Five hours they're out, keep warm or sauce and slice or just slice (I like 'em both ways).

Down side is they take up a lot of room--more so than your brats.

Thanks for the tips. JimmyE, the only times I've cooked brisket, I sliced it right before serving. Does it reheat well if it is sliced in advance?
Len, I've never done ribs before (my wife isn't a fan). I have one of those Weber rib racks that doubles as a roasting cradle. I wonder if I could load my WSM with enough racks of ribs to make it work.

Jim W;
I have an 18.5" WSM. By using a wire rib rack (from Walmart that has six slots for ribs) I can load six half racks of ribs on each grate. That would be six full racks. Using two wire racks with your 22.5", you should be able to cook nearly twice that many as you won't half to cut the racks in half.

Just a thought...

Dale53

I have cooked 11 racks at once in the wsm, depends on how big the racks are. You might get 12 if they are not real large.

Back