Great Pellet deal

Larry, you are going to add being a pellet grill expert to your “gas whisperer” title😎! That is a great deal and seems like it would be a nice blend. Let us know how it does for you.
I will. I may drop the Sam's club ones out and put these in just for giggles. Just not sure gas whisperer is a flattering title if ya get my drift LOL. When I was a flight attendant we used to "gas whisper" by PIA passengers :D

So as noted earlier I cleaned out the Sam's Club pellets (IIRC they're called Smokehouse) and put in the Kirkland ones. Both versions claim to be the same blend of woods. But if you note the color and sizes they are different. Definitely different producers. I don't notice any real difference in "aroma" just yet. I have a pork chop sitting in there now on "smoke" setting (running 165 to 175). Getting good smoke on it. Seasoned only with salt and pepper. I want to get the actual "essence". Will report back. Kirkland (Costco) on the right, Smokehouse on the left
1666222135164.jpeg

So as noted earlier I cleaned out the Sam's Club pellets (IIRC they're called Smokehouse) and put in the Kirkland ones. Both versions claim to be the same blend of woods. But if you note the color and sizes they are different. Definitely different producers. I don't notice any real difference in "aroma" just yet. I have a pork chop sitting in there now on "smoke" setting (running 165 to 175). Getting good smoke on it. Seasoned only with salt and pepper. I want to get the actual "essence". Will report back. Kirkland (Costco) on the right, Smokehouse on the left
View attachment 61339

Could the difference be caused by the way the pellets are handled, like potato chips? Also, by the time those pellets pass through the auger and make it to the burn pot, there may not be many of those large pellets left. I may be wrong, but wouldn't the smaller pellets be more easily "digested" by the pooper and lead to less tunneling?

The chop was not bad. But I did a poor job of cooking it :( Tough as nails. Flavor and aroma was good, the grill burned VERY steady despite the strong cold north wind against it. It held temps perfectly. I think they're nice pellets and so long as I can continue to buy them for only $12.99 for 40lbs I can't beat it. I think that pellet popper runs cheaper than my gas grills! Oddly though it needs it more often the little maintenance it does need is actually easier to do than on the Genesis or even the Q. Oddly enough I think I only used my Wolf maybe 4X this season

Could the difference be caused by the way the pellets are handled, like potato chips? Also, by the time those pellets pass through the auger and make it to the burn pot, there may not be many of those large pellets left. I may be wrong, but wouldn't the smaller pellets be more easily "digested" by the pooper and lead to less tunneling?
I built another controller (a PiFire) to run in parallel with the OEM controller and as part of the calibration I checked the auger output by running the auger for 20 seconds and measuring the weight of the pellets dispensed. I ran the test a couple of times and most of the pellets were 1/4" long with only a couple that were 1/2" maximum, so the auger breaks up most of those longer pellets.

FYI, a Traeger outputs about 0.3g per second of auger ON time and the MM puts out over 0.8g.

These arrived in my city at Costco, and I decided to buy two bags. For the price…why not? After a little research, other comments and consumers seem to believe these are the same blend as Pit Boss’ competition blend. I’m sure there’s an explanation somewhere but I haven’t read far enough to find out.

So far, Jealous Devil’s pellets have become my favourite. Charcoal still reigns supreme (for me) however.

Interested to see what the Kirkland pellets offer.

I have used the Kirkland and love them. And love them even more for the $12.99 per 40# bag price too! They look a little darker and shinier than the Sam's Club ones at $14.99 bag but I cannot tell any difference in the ash left behind (amount or location), nor in the aroma and flavor profile of what's smoked on them. So, I will be a price driven shopper between the 2.

I haven’t seen Jealous Devil pellets yet . My favorites to date are Knotty Wood Plum, Weber GrillMaster, Lumberjack Cherry and Bear Mountain Apple. There are a number of other ones that I also think are good including Smokin Pellets.com and Kingsford. Most any Lumberjack pellets are likely to be good. I understand they make Weber’s GrillMaster blend which has pretty much disappeared from shelves.

I haven’t seen Jealous Devil pellets yet . My favorites to date are Knotty Wood Plum, Weber GrillMaster, Lumberjack Cherry and Bear Mountain Apple. There are a number of other ones that I also think are good including Smokin Pellets.com and Kingsford. Most any Lumberjack pellets are likely to be good. I understand they make Weber’s GrillMaster blend which has pretty much disappeared from shelves.
Academy has JD pellets and I use a lot of B&B competition blend which are really good too.

I have used the Kirkland and love them. And love them even more for the $12.99 per 40# bag price too! They look a little darker and shinier than the Sam's Club ones at $14.99 bag but I cannot tell any difference in the ash left behind (amount or location), nor in the aroma and flavor profile of what's smoked on them. So, I will be a price driven shopper between the 2.

A random guy in the comments on the Sams club blend said they are made by Bear Mountain. Looks true. They are less than half the price of other bear mountain pellets. https://bearmountainbbq.com/collections/smokehouse-pellets

They're great pellets in either case. Costco ones simply get a nod for value. I honestly have not noticed any quality difference with either one. Aroma, food taste, ash residue, burn quality. Honestly both perform great (at least in my grill)

Back