Grease fire -- what did I do ?

I line my tray with foil and switch it out when it looks like it needs changing.

I also use a water bottle for spraying flair ups.

For some reason (don't know what) Weber strictly warns against doing that. Perhaps the foil reflects heat differently. Careful maintenance and cleaning pretty much prevents flare ups. I personally almost never see one and if I do see a hint of one I clean the grill

For some reason (don't know what) Weber strictly warns against doing that. Perhaps the foil reflects heat differently. Careful maintenance and cleaning pretty much prevents flare ups. I personally almost never see one and if I do see a hint of one I clean the grill

Weber doesn't want you to use any other manufacturer's products.

When I first got my 22'5 WSM I called them to order another small grate to make mine 3 tiered...the woman refused to sell me one because I would be voiding my warranty by "modifying" it. We chatted for a while about what a modification is and does and she sold me one in the end.

I have always thought that the foil wrinkles created potential grease traps that can start a fire. That is why, of course, keeping the bottom tray clean is so important. Even with no foil the gross neglect some people give their grills results in grease fires.

I have always thought that the foil wrinkles created potential grease traps that can start a fire. That is why, of course, keeping the bottom tray clean is so important. Even with no foil the gross neglect some people give their grills results in grease fires.

Would not call it neglect. I was just a gasser newby and it was only one year old and I did not use it that much. I kept watching the grease level in the disposable tray and it was not near full. Ron G hit the nail on the head above, the grease flow was restricted by pieces of meat, bread, or veggies ......... most likely the latter.

I'd be surprised if everyone on this forum cleaned their grill meticulously as often as you'd think. Lynn, no harm no foul. I think the point is just to keep the grill working like it's supposed to :)

Slainte!

Tim

Would not call it neglect. I was just a gasser newby and it was only one year old and I did not use it that much. I kept watching the grease level in the disposable tray and it was not near full. Ron G hit the nail on the head above, the grease flow was restricted by pieces of meat, bread, or veggies ......... most likely the latter.

Lynn,
I was NOT accusing YOU of gross neglect and apologize for it seeming that way. I have had my own grease fires, so I know it can happen easily. What I was contrasting was the use of foil and the effect of folds and wrinkles with the observations some of us who restore grills have made of TRUE gross neglect. We have all seen grills where the bottom pan was completely FULL of crudded up, burned residue completely negating any drainage capability of the pan.

Here is an actual picture from one that I picked up that shows what gross neglect actually means:p:

5u00o1.jpg

Again, I am truly sorry for the impression I left that I was referring to you:(. Not at all!

I take it one has to remove the burner tubes to clean out the firebox?

For what it's worth, I removed mine before giving the bottom a good scrape. However, I didn't realize you could pull the large drip tray out. I made the rookie mistake of unscrewing the right side and dropping the piece the tray sits on.

Lynn,
I was NOT accusing YOU of gross neglect and apologize for it seeming that way. I have had my own grease fires, so I know it can happen easily. What I was contrasting was the use of foil and the effect of folds and wrinkles with the observations some of us who restore grills have made of TRUE gross neglect. We have all seen grills where the bottom pan was completely FULL of crudded up, burned residue completely negating any drainage capability of the pan.

Here is an actual picture from one that I picked up that shows what gross neglect actually means:p:

5u00o1.jpg

Again, I am truly sorry for the impression I left that I was referring to you:(. Not at all!

wow, what a mess those are.

I take it one has to remove the burner tubes to clean out the firebox?

For what it's worth, I removed mine before giving the bottom a good scrape. However, I didn't realize you could pull the large drip tray out. I made the rookie mistake of unscrewing the right side and dropping the piece the tray sits on.

I guess it just goes to show people don't look at owner's manual :D

Back