Gratuitous Pics of Steak Frites

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
With a return to standard time and the resulting less daylight, it's harder to get a good shot of grilling action. With no action shots, you'll have to trust me that these monster strips steaks were grilled (after being cooked to 127* sous vide ;) ).

I mentioned to Dan in his sous vide post, I find traditional grilling techniques are easier and work just as well on a standard cut steak (which should be good news for grilling traditionalist). But I still like to use my sv rig, so I just make sure my steaks aren't standard cut. I split a half a strip loin into three steaks that were each about 2 pound and about 2" thick. They swam in the tank for about 4 hours at 127* before hitting the grill.

IMG_20121111_151246.jpg

dinner started with a little escargot, these were prior to broiling. Three dishes made it to the table, I deposited the forth dish on the rug (good thing the rug is getting replaced this week)
IMG_7361.JPG

second course was Anthony Bourdain's Le Halles onion soup
IMG_7369.JPG

third course was a reprise of the recipe that I submitted for this article. It didn't look as good when I plated it for the News photographer, but I wasn't drunk then nor did I have to plate 6 of them. The lardons were incredible, as they came from bacon I made from a local pig (it was probably my best bacon I've made)
IMG_7370.JPG

and our fourth course was the steak frites: duck fat fries, oven roasted green beans, strip steak with maitre d'hotel butter. The butter was awesome, I'm going to try to post the recipe.
IMG_7373.JPG

and dessert that was made by one of our guests: apple tart and profiterole
IMG_7380.JPG

breakfast this morning wasn't too shabby with some steak and duck fat fries "hash browns"
IMG_7384.JPG

Sir, I have a strange feeling you are either a 5 star chef in a very nice restaurant or, a photographer to a food magazine. Or, somehow, both? Nice

Now! THIS is a five star post! The content, photography, dialogue, everything. What a totally wonderful meal. Thank you for this one.

Steak frites..now you've got my attention!

What a great photo, but you need a little more wine in that glass:

IMG_7373.JPG

Regards,
Chris

Steak frites..now you've got my attention!

IMG_7373.JPG

Regards,
Chris

Eating @ jeffs place is just as a quality wine tasting...Look, smell, taste - Spit it out. Thats why we have small portions and 100 dishes. ;) *Joke*

Absolutely stunning Mr biesinger! That steak might be one of the bes i have ever seen!

holy cow. what a fantastic meal. 1st class all the way. i want to come over for dinner. everything looks really, really good. :cool:

Heck Jeff looking at this post took me over an hour cause I had to read your bacon article then I had to look up Le Halles onion soup and get a few recipe's after that I went and got the recipe for maitre d'hotel butter. So after an hour or so Great post.

This post is further proof that it is difficult to come to this site and not learn something or at the least,

be inspired to learn more. Great job!

Not sure what else can be said. You definitely have a talent for both cooking and photography, Jeff!:)

Holy moley! That all looks absolutely spectacular. I'm guessing chef, too. If not, you should be. I keep meaning to make Bourdain's french onion soup. Thanks for reminding me!

Thanks for all the great comments! I apologize for not replying to most, but I'm finding it difficult to manage multiple replies in one post. I do the best I can with copy/paste

Sir, I have a strange feeling you are either a 5 star chef in a very nice restaurant or, a photographer to a food magazine. Or, somehow, both? Nice

I'm neither, just someone who really enjoys both. I've been doing this a fairly long time, and my style has evolved (as has my cooking and photography equipment)

Heck Jeff looking at this post took me over an hour cause I had to read your bacon article then I had to look up Le Halles onion soup and get a few recipe's after that I went and got the recipe for maitre d'hotel butter. So after an hour or so Great post.

It sounds like you fell down the same rabbit hole I'm in. I've been down here so long I forgot how long it'll take to get out. Thanks for joining me (your welcome) and letting me know that it's a mere 60 min back up to daylight.

but seriously, thanks for appreciating the info. My wife and I do considerable research (well mostly my wife) into meals like this and it's nice to know others can profit from it

you might look at it as it's mostly empty, I look at it as my belly is mostly full

Back