Gratuitous Meat Picture

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
IMG_7555.JPG
This year's rib roast..... 4.75lbs, boneless, 200F for 5.5 hours, rested 45 minutes, seared at 525F for 7 minutes. Final internal temp was 135F, so I was a bit surprised that it was still as red as it was (I wasn't complaining, mind you.....). Simply seasoned with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Gave it another sprinkle of salt at the beginning of the rest. Good stuff!

R

I want those two pieces on top with all that fat.. Do you mind me asking where you got it?
A local steakhouse, Sundance, was doing a Holiday Butcher Box that included a 7lb boneless, prime rib roast (uncooked), and some sides (pre-cooked.) I typically get a whole, 7-bone primal at CostCo for Xmas, but with our reduced guest list, we opted to do something different this year. This was a fine piece of meat, and the sides heated up really well (garlic mashers, creamed spinach, lobster bisque and caprese salad.) I lopped off a bit of the roast, so I ended up with some "pre-leftovers". :)

IMG_7551.JPG

This year's rib roast..... 4.75lbs, boneless, 200F for 5.5 hours, rested 45 minutes, seared at 525F for 7 minutes. Final internal temp was 135F, so I was a bit surprised that it was still as red as it was (I wasn't complaining, mind you.....).
Did you happen to temp it at the start and end of the rest? I have to figure that it was that long rest that allowed all the juices to redistribute and the sear wasn't long enough to do anything more than brown up the exterior. Very nice!

Did you happen to temp it at the start and end of the rest? I have to figure that it was that long rest that allowed all the juices to redistribute and the sear wasn't long enough to do anything more than brown up the exterior. Very nice!
I pulled it at 130F, it rose to 135F, then fell to about 132F at the beginning of the sear. Redistribution of juices definitely happened, judging by the small amount of juices on the cutting board. I made a note to cook the next one to 135F prior to resting. Made a somewhat decadent burrito bowl for lunch with some diced roast, sautéed up with some Lawry's taco seasoning. Yum.

Back