Graphing of your Cooks

Andre A

TVWBB Member
So how nerdy to do you need to be with your cooks to take advantage of this feature. Thinking about getting a new TCS. I got a Digi Q2 and thinking about getting the ultra, because it looks slick. And even though I am a "He google" guy, that voice feature would be bad *** even though it currently only works with Alexa. Imagine controlling your cook from your living room while watching the game.

Having said this, how many of you graph your cooks and how do you implement that knowledge in your future cooks. In other words is graphing your cook a gimmick for very practical?

It's pretty nerdy.

But I find I have a better "feel" for the cook by looking at it graphed. And it serves as a record of how long I cook, and I can add notes to the graph so I can document the cook. On Stoker, there's no other "historian" other than the 3rd party apps that provide graphing/logging.

It can also be useful in troubleshooting temperature/air leaks.

Heatermeter does graph.

Y44rLZf.png

[WSM 18] It's a good feature to be able to monitor temp control problems, e.g., overshooting, slow temp rise, etc.

After a thorough cleaning of the WSM, I did a test cook (no meat) to determine whether the cleaning affected sealing and temperature control when using the ATC. It showed good control with little overshoot.

I can't imagine cooking without my graph.
when you look at something you haven't looked at for a few hours and you see that it's been cycling by a few degrees you know you got an issue..... Maybe you need to adjust tuning parameter maybe you need to shake that ash down

And yeah control it from living room or from bed.... Or while at the grocery store... Or at work...
Received emails when alarms or events occur, or text messages, or push notifications......
Other people a thousand miles away can watch graph of your cook as well if you let them....

Last edited:
@MartinB I agree. For me, one of the most useful benefits of the graph is on long cooks. When after several hours, the fan output seems to be increasing in order to maintain the pit temperature, it generally indicates that I need to add coal. For example, after things settle out, the fan output may average 5% with peaks to 10%. If after several hours, it is averaging 10% with peaks to 20% or more, I need to take a look at what's going on in there.

A graph is also a great way to easily see when a brisket (for example) has stalled in the cook, and when it’s broken through the stall.

Possible to do without a graph? Of course. As much fun/as easy as using one? Nope.

And yeah control it from living room or from bed.... Or while at the grocery store... Or at work...

I had a 2 bone prime rib in my smoker yesterday, and was watching the HeaterMeter while having a tasty beverage at the local brewpub.

The graphing display is awfully handy.

Back