Grabbed me a 2000-01 Genesis Gold-Part 2

What?! Look at those seeeexxxxy legs, that bald dome glistening in the sun...........................How could you say that?

I just think Vanna beats you out slightly in the legs category. No comment on the rest.

As far as I know the first use of the large Summit frame with a Genesis aluminum Cook Box was 1996, which is what year my blue Platinum II is.

zOuyP5S.jpg

Weber used this same frame and oversized side burner all the way to 2001 on the Platinum line, just this time with the 5 bar box being used in 2000-2001 as well as the newer, more rounded lid design.

FAxoCNC.jpg

Now, I have seen an even newer looking Weber design lid with the use of the oversized frame but I think it was a one-off "frankengrill"

Jeff
That blue is top notch, Jeff! That has got to be a Schwartzenegger with a hat and 3-piece suit, simply gorgeous!

So is the early version a 13-bar? And is that lid more rounded than the early Gens, or is that because I can't take my eyes off the overall picture???

Had some time today to clean up the Gold B today with the nice (by New England standards) weather.

I was pleasantly surprised when I cleaned the lid and porcelain side table not to see any fade what-so-ever.
The more I looked at the grill color the more it didn't look like Black to me, but more so a Gray.

So I walked over to my Weber parts pile and pulled out the shelf I have left from my same vintage Gold C and my suspicions were correct...this is definitely a Gray. I had never seen a Gray for the 2000-2001 Weber Gold'/Platinum series grills.

mbO9mdO.jpg

4fOHGCz.jpg

Checking out the date code mine is a DD model which signifies 2000 vintage so they may of only used it for that year and not the 2001 model.
I tend to avoid restoring the Black Weber's because of the fade that most of them have so I am very happy with this discovery.

Jeff

Bruce,
Maybe that is the color but all the Mica Blacks I see look more Black than Gray.
Screenshot_20201121-145350.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121-145835.png
    Screenshot_20201121-145835.png
    473.4 KB · Views: 8
Jeff,
I really like that color, whatever its exact name. One of the first grills I restored - before finding TVWBB - was a Target special edition Genesis. When I bought it, I thought it was black and just dirty. After cleaning it up, I came to see that it was actually a very dark gray that they used for the Target edition. I have assumed the color was that "Mica."

AFTER Genesis 1000 Gray Target Model.jpg

Jon,
Your SE edition looks much closer to my color than others I have seen.
Either way I just glad it's not the faded Black like so many others out there.

Jeff

Back