Grabbed me a 2000-01 Genesis Gold-Part 2

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
For the second time in 4 months I lucked out and grabbed me another 00-01 Genesis Gold Unicorn.

This is a B model also in Black like the C model I picked up back in July.

This one is in much better shape and will require just some light cleaning, sanding, & painting with just some light surface rust down by the casters.
The Cook Box is nice and square, the Burner Tubes look new, and the 5 extra-TALL Flavorizer Bars look like they were just replaced too. The stamped stainless grates were toast but I have plenty of spares of those so I threw in a set and will cook on it later this week to check everything out.

It was missing the bottom wire shelf but I have the one off the Gold C that I am parting out so this is how it looked once I added those pieces and unloaded it out of my Pilot.

yuxFSzc.jpg

khQBNfa.jpg

Jeff

This series is the Schwarzenegger of the Genesis line...broad shoulders, big arms and legs. Even the handle on the lid is beefy. No girly-girl swing tables, either. Nice find, Jeff!

Last edited:
Jeff, have you said that the cookbox is a different size on this series, and will not interchange with any other cookbox? Is the lid interchangeable?

Ed,
The Cook Box on this series is interchangeable with the 1000-5000 series grills as is the Manifold and the Burner Tubes.

It is just one row of 5 rather tall Flavorizer Bars rather than 2 rows of 13 smaller bars.. Also the Box is about 1/2" shorter than a 1000-500 box.
The lid will fit on any 1000-5000 as long as you retain the original End Caps as they will not fit the older Genesis lids.

Jeff

Last edited:
Ed,
The Cook Box on this series is interchangeable with the 1000-5000 series grills as is the Manifold and the Burner Tubes.

It is just 5 rather tall Flavorizer Bars rather than 13 smaller bars.. Also the Box is about 1/2" shorter than a 1000-500 box.
The lid will fit on any 1000-5000 as long as you retain the original End Caps as they will not fit the older Genesis lids.

Jeff
Hmmmm...that is one unique grill! I've always wondered who Weber's targeted consumer was when they made these grills...they certainly project an image of go-anywhere ruggedness and individuality.. You put one of these alongside a pre-2000 Genesis 1xxx and the early Genny would seem dainty by comparison. I'd like to see some ads for this one from back in the day!

They are big heavy beasts. Not the type of grill you want to be rolling in and out of the garage every time you use it. But, if you have a nice large deck or patio for one, they are nice. It would be nice to have some swing tables, but if it is pretty much stationary, you can always have a side table next to it.

Yup, I like that you can drop a 13 bar box on those kind of grills. I also like those casters as they are more durable than the standard ones.

Yup, I like that you can drop a 13 bar box on those kind of grills. I also like those casters as they are more durable than the standard ones.
Oh, you're killin' me over here, Sam! I wouldn't even think about doing that unless there was just no saving the original cookbox...I'd want to preserve a unique grill like this for the enjoyment of future generations, maybe even add it to Jon's museum when he gets it built!

This series is the Schwarzenegger of the Genesis line...broad shoulders, big arms and legs. Even the handle on the lid is beefy. No girly-girl swing tables, either. Nice find, Jeff!

Ed,
A perfect description of these short lived grills! The most macho of the Genesis models.

I gotta think these were a "test the waters" kind of thing at Weber! They have an appeal all of their own, don't they?

Am I wrong in thinking the heavy frames were first introduced in the mid- to late-90s but with the squared-off early lids?

Oh, you're killin' me over here, Sam! I wouldn't even think about doing that unless there was just no saving the original cookbox...I'd want to preserve a unique grill like this for the enjoyment of future generations, maybe even add it to Jon's museum when he gets it built!
Yah, I know what you mean but it's good to have that option.

I gotta think these were a "test the waters" kind of thing at Weber! They have an appeal all of their own, don't they?

Am I wrong in thinking the heavy frames were first introduced in the mid- to late-90s but with the squared-off early lids?
Yah, Weber made a similarly unique grill back in (I think) 1998. It had big square raised tables but the frame looked basically identical to the one above.

20201003_102104.jpg

As far as I know the first use of the large Summit frame with a Genesis aluminum Cook Box was 1996, which is what year my blue Platinum II is.

zOuyP5S.jpg

Weber used this same frame and oversized side burner all the way to 2001 on the Platinum line, just this time with the 5 bar box being used in 2000-2001 as well as the newer, more rounded lid design.

FAxoCNC.jpg

Now, I have seen an even newer looking Weber design lid with the use of the oversized frame but I think it was a one-off "frankengrill"

Jeff

Ed, I am pretty sure what you are remembering is the first generation Summit which, as Jeff explains above, then shared its frame with the early Platinum and Gold grills. Here is the one Larry Michaels was nice enough to sell to me. I am looking forward to getting it up and running as my "heavy duty" daily driver.

IMG_5241.jpeg

Back