Got the dreaded E7 error on Mother's day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have an issue, and instead of fixing said issue, we complain about a new pellet grill, and refuse to fix the relatively inexpensive issue.

But by god, we’re gonna get another pellet, and spend more. That’s silly

Fix it and keep cooking. Parts for Smokefire certainly aren’t unavailable and it’s not going to be that way ANY time soon.

To sum: won’t spend $140
Won’t spend $900
Gonna spend $400+ on something else

Can’t make this up
Can you really say “Parts for Smokefire certainly aren’t unavailable and it’s not going to be that way ANY time soon”…
There is a BIG plus to using a pellet grill made by a company that uses NON proprietary parts. Meaning I can order any of my moving parts, temp probe and glo plug on Amazon or other online places and have them next day.
I don’t have to call Weber only to be sent to their online center to fill out more info, wait several days to asked for more info, and send photos…bla bla bla….
The best advice I have heard from any Weber pellet gill user…”I’m glad I had a back up grill”

Try searching Amazon for "Weber Smokefire parts" and see what comes up....glow plugs and flavorizers...that's about it. Try searching Pit Boss or Traeger pellet grill parts and you'll get hundreds of different parts from all kinds of vendors.
Dropping $140 on a part that may or may not be the problem is expensive...especially on a relatively new product that has just fallen out of warranty. Not a confidence builder for the product's overall longevity either.

Last edited:
I don't like a lot of things about it, tbh. It was my first pellet grill and I like the pellet concept, but some design decisions never really set well with me. I would like a hopper that is more traditional so I am not paranoid about pellets not falling on long cooks.

That's a good enough reason for you to look elsewhere if your not satisfied. Happy hunting for a replacement. I would still fix the SmokeFire, it would be easier to sell, or you can still use it as a back up in case your new grill fails at the worst possible moment! Lol.

I'm struggling recalling instances where manufactures provided courtesy replacement parts on out of warranty devices in my decades here. Weber was bold in their endeavor to provide us with a revolutionary design and I still applaud them for that, regardless of the fact that they may have taken a proprietary design approach.

And, too, I applaud the other pellet makers who offer universally-available parts. We all win because we're free to take the path of our choosing :)

That's a good enough reason for you to look elsewhere if your not satisfied. Happy hunting for a replacement. I would still fix the SmokeFire, it would be easier to sell, or you can still use it as a back up in case your new grill fails at the worst possible moment! Lol.

I am leaning towards that. Buying a new grill but also getting the smokefire fixed and take it to my parents house so I can cook for them when I go over there. But the entire situation has opened my eyes to grills with generic parts that can be upgraded or replaced all together. I didn't even know that was a thing. Seems like a really good strategy.

To be clear, the SmokeFire has cooked some good food for me throughout the years, and was a good way to learn about pellets cookers. I don't HATE it, just would like a more traditional design in my next grill.

So we want a grill that has cheap knockoff parts available on Amazon. Got it.

Glad I don’t have one of those.

So we want a grill that has cheap knockoff parts available on Amazon. Got it.

Glad I don’t have one of those.

So you are just going to leave snarky comments after everything I post? Not sure exactly what about my posts have rubbed you the wrong way, but I hope you get over it soon. Didn't think I would have to ignore anyone on this board of all places, but here we are.

He said his eyes have been opened to grills with generic parts, and would like a more traditional design---not your eyes. I'm glad he continues to share his interests despite reading a post or two of a negative, combative nature.

I'll still post here. Not sure why he was so upset, but life is too short to worry about it. Just add him to the ignore list and keep on trucking.

To my point, I worked in the computer industry for a long time and most PCs have generic parts that can be replaced easily. Hard drives, memory, wifi adapters, etc. and that is seen as a positive for consumers as you can upgrade or replace yourself instead of getting overpriced OEM parts. To see this in the grill industry as well is a positive. Parts are going to go bad, that's just how it is. To be able to replace/upgrade for $30 is great.

I'll still post here. Not sure why he was so upset, but life is too short to worry about it. Just add him to the ignore list and keep on trucking.

To my point, I worked in the computer industry for a long time and most PCs have generic parts that can be replaced easily. Hard drives, memory, wifi adapters, etc. and that is seen as a positive for consumers as you can upgrade or replace yourself instead of getting overpriced OEM parts. To see this in the grill industry as well is a positive. Parts are going to go bad, that's just how it is. To be able to replace/upgrade for $30 is great.
And it's obviously not just applicable to pellet grills, gas grills for certain. The ability to easily order, flavorizers, grates, igniters, etc...and have them delivered within a few days at very reasonable cost is great.
I had concerns about replacement burners for my Genesis II...sure enough 1-2 years later they're readily available aftermarket on Amazon at reasonable prices.
I fail to see any downside to that for any product.

Had this dreaded E7 error myself today. Wonder what actually happens to the grill here? I took everything apart just like the instructions said, cleared all the dust and pellets that were really stuck on hard in there, and overall looked everything over. Looks OK! Powered grill back on, E7 error. I assume pellets/dust jam and simply blows up that tiny motor? I was within 60 days expired and they actually sent me a new motor for free. I guess I was lucky!

Had this dreaded E7 error myself today. Wonder what actually happens to the grill here? I took everything apart just like the instructions said, cleared all the dust and pellets that were really stuck on hard in there, and overall looked everything over. Looks OK! Powered grill back on, E7 error. I assume pellets/dust jam and simply blows up that tiny motor? I was within 60 days expired and they actually sent me a new motor for free. I guess I was lucky!
You had pellets that were stuck on hard on the auger? I usually only see some up by the auger bolt. Sounds like damp pellets could have been the culprit if they were stuck all over the entire auger.

Every few months or so I remove the auger just to check and clean out pellet dust in the hopper as a precaution.

You had pellets that were stuck on hard on the auger? I usually only see some up by the auger bolt. Sounds like damp pellets could have been the culprit if they were stuck all over the entire auger.

Every few months or so I remove the auger just to check and clean out pellet dust in the hopper as a precaution.
I should have taken a picture and been more clear, but the hard stuff/dust was stuck right around the bottom of the auger that touched the metal plate. About 1/2 inch buildup but rock hard. The auger does turn now and I think I want to take this entire motor apart to learn what is actually bad.

1) Do we know if the auger moves clock wise or counter clockwise?

2) Anyone done a complete disassembly of the motor component itself to understand what to look for or do we think it is board related?

Weber took a shortcut and just used the cheap Chinese knockoff parts from the start when they built the Smokefire. But the parts are so cheaply made no one else wants to sell them.
Totally incorrect. Not even remotely in the ballpark.

Or maybe, just maybe….they don’t actually fail as much as folks want to pretend. Thereby, being a pointless market to enter with cheap crap.

Mind blowing ain’t it? Amazing what one can see when they don’t scarf down the internet tales…

He said his eyes have been opened to grills with generic parts, and would like a more traditional design---not your eyes. I'm glad he continues to share his interests despite reading a post or two of a negative, combative nature.
Thanks. I’m not stupid, certainly don’t need it spelled out.

What I said rings true still, it just doesn’t make sense. Not my money, but then again, there’s an old saying about certain folks and their money easily parted…

I’m sure I don’t have to spell that out for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back