Got myself a Father's Day Present Monday

Larry glad you shared. That was a very unfortunate incident. These days with all these gun clubs and NRA classses gun safety/handling is paramount. You know that gun rule "Treat your firearm AS IF it's loaded"? I would rather "Treat it loaded" and never have to second guess it. I ingrained that into my son at an early age AND never point at someone's head. Even when he would play with his Nerf guns. He's now 18 and takes firearm safety very seriously. No sweeping of the barrel and always keep pointed down range, finger off the trigger and know what you are shooting and beyond. When one gets complacent that's when accidents happen. Common sense is also a major factor as well. Some people just should not handle firearms.
How was it back then in the 1930s and gun safety? I am just trying to understand from a perspective of growing up with guns being used as tools. I did not grow up hunting like others. Forgive me if I come off the wrong way. Not intended.

Teaching gun safety was paramount back in my earlier days.

Many students owned shotguns and rifles, and they were clearly visibly mounted on truck window gun racks in the school parking lots. One student even carried a small caliber pistol in his back pocket to class every day. No one freaked out though.

Anyway, congratulations on you new firearm, Larry! I was entertaining thoughts of buying an 870 pump with a short barrel for what it's worth.

Last edited:
We had a sad story here in our county back in 2012, a police officer was tired after his shift and left his backup Glock .45 on the bed, took off his shoes, crawled into bed and fell asleep. Later that afternoon, he and his wife swept the bed linens into a laundry basket. Despite warnings to his 3 year old son to always stay out of the parent's bedroom and especially Dad's office where he stored many weapons properly, the little boy wandered into the bedroom, found the gun, and shot himself in the forehead above the right eye. He died at the hospital.

What always struck me about this story is here is a man who is trained in firearm safety and usage to a level that most of us could never imagine, yet even he has a momentary lapse, a decision made when exhausted, forgetting a handgun covered by a bed sheet, and what a tragedy for that little boy, the officer, his wife, their extended family, and the small community where they lived. Mistakes like that cannot be undone.

The 870 is a great piece. Very simple, and VERY reliable. Sad I sold mine.
Yep it is sad about that little guy. I hear about things like this and cringe. They're tools (very dangerous tools) but tools none the less.

I ended up getting a CZ 9mm-very impressive piece with good reviews and reliable. Like you said earlier Larry, availability on a lot of big names has dried up. I too used to have an 870 which I replaced with an Ithaca 51-great piece.

Back