Got myself a Father's Day Present Monday

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So this past Monday I bought myself a Father's Day present. Filled the paper work on Friday and got it Monday. First day I took it out to try it and it "bit" me. But I figured out what I did wrong and am now enjoying it a lot.
20200623_120521.jpg

Last edited:
So this past Monday I bought myself a Father's Day present. Filled the paper work on Friday and got it Monday. First day I took it out to try it and it "bit" me. But I figured out what I did wrong and am now enjoying it a lot.
View attachment 7922
Very nice Fathers Day present Larry
I've been bit a few times also. I finally had to sell all my semi-auto hand guns except my big ugly Ruger P95DC 9mm due to arthritis and carpaltunnel in my shooting hand. It hurt really bad when I would rack them. The Ruger is a big gun and I can get a grip on that with out killing my wrist, plus with two 15 round magazines it's a good home defender. With an external hammer I can keep one in the pipe and the hammer down so I don't have to rack it if I need it.
I also have S&W body guard for pocket protection it's a five shot hammerless 38 2" barrel. I made the mistake of putting + Ps in it, first round I shot the sucker recoiled so hard it almost hit me in the face. Couldn't pick up a toothpick for a week. Now it has standard load and it's still a nasty little gun. but I can carry it in my pocket and it's not noticeable.
I had to laugh when I read you had to fill out the paper work and wait. Here in AZ you fill out a simple questioner the dealer calls in the background check total time about 10 minuets and your done. Private party give them the money they give you the gun.

Here in IL we have 72 hour waiting period. I guess to stop rimes of passion. I guess too from what I have read AZ is a Constitutional Carry state. Not so here. Here you have to take a 16 hour state certified course. Costing anywhere from $200 to $400. Then if you pass you have to pay another $150 to the state and they decide to "issue" a license called a CCW Permit. An expensive and time consuming process. I was a little worried someone would find the photo offensive so I took the 2 down. I do live shooting our .357 and also a little .22 Ruger Mark 1.
From what I learned also, IL is the only state that requires you to have a license to own a firearm and to buy ammunition for it. Plus another lic to carry if you happen to want to do that. I don't know if it helps anything though. Laws are for honest people. LOL Anyway my wife and I enjoy going to the range, making a little noise and heading home with our paper "trophies".

View attachment 7922
Which bad semi did that to ya? I remember my first bite came from a PPK. Such a small gun but a nasty bite regardless.

This one. I have never owned one and been wanting to have one. I am so used to my wheel gun this was a totally different experience. It's a mistake that won't be made again. LOL I really am enjoying it now. Very easy to handle, very low recoil even with 140+ grain ammo. Only other thing is the weird (compared to my 357 wheel gun) trigger. It's making pull down and left slightly but it groups REALLY tight

20200622_144239.jpg

One would think it's OK to post a image. If not I'm sure the moderator will let us know. I mean we still live in America. Well one would think not if u live in NJ. Our 2A laws are so *** backawards. Well I guess I can't complain compared to NY and Cali. Great to see like minded 2A individuals on this site as well. It's been a crazy three months. Inventory and prices are out of control at the moment. Seems like everyone is grabbing at everything and anything thats for sale.

I had to laugh when I read you had to fill out the paper work and wait. Here in AZ you fill out a simple questioner the dealer calls in the background check total time about 10 minuets and your done. Private party give them the money they give you the gun.
Rich if you laugh at that you gonna fall outta your seat when I tell u about NJ.
Need purchase permits for handguns
Background and mental health check for permits
Permits expire in 90 days
ONE every 30 days provided u have approved permits to buy
Recent legistlation took away the face to face transactions now all have to go thru a FFL
Sad part is this is actually still better than NY and Cali.

So the permit is temporary and only for a purchase? So assuming you own a pistol or 2. As long as you don't purchase another do you still need to get a permit every 90 days? We too must got through an FFL whether it's just in a regular shop or what not. But we have to keep what's called a FOID. Firearm Owner Identity Card. IIRC they last 10 years. That allows us to buy a firearm after the per-requisite waiting period of 48 hours for rifle or shot gun or 72 hours for handgun. During that time period the seller (FFL) is supposed to run a state police background check on you after you fill out appropriate paper work. There is typically no fee for the check but there is typically a $25 to $50 fee for the FFL to do their thing.
Now of course that FOID does not give you the right to carry outside your own home or property. For that you need a CCW permit which as I said costs about $350 to $500 between classes and permit fees to acquire.
Yet in spite of all these things the only people who obey the laws are not the ones doing the crimes and the laws don't help against that segment of society. It's all pretty sad.
And of course heaven help you if you use that weapon in defense of your own life. Sorry I don't mean to go off on a tangent. I just thought it humorous that my first time at the range with my new "present" and it bites me

OK Larry its gonna be some confusing reading so grab a cold one and here goes.
First you have to apply for a Firearms ID card (FID) which is the overall license to even own firearms. You can also indicate how may pistol purchase permits (PPP) at the time of the FID application. This process can take up to 30 days to get approved. Once you get the FID it's perpetual no renewals needed cost is $5. The card will allow you to purchase ammo and long guns with no waiting periods.
Now if you want to purchase a handgun you would need use the PPP's you also just applied for. Cost is $2 per permit whether you use them or not. You now have 90 days to use the permits. After 90 days the permits can be extended ONE time for another 90 days to get a total of 180 days. So for the sake of argument I have 3 PPPs. Those cost me $6. I am only allowed to buy ONE handgun every 30 days. I take my first PPP to the dealer or gun store fill out the paperwork and run the background checks (NICS) and get approved. I purchase the gun and ONE PPP is used. FFL gets his copies and I get my copy.
Now i have to wait 30 days before I can purchase my next handgun. Most people figure out what they want prior to the 30 days and eirther order them to be shipped to FFL to be held or leave a deposit for the gun of their choice. After 30 days past you can now proceed to use the 2nd PPP to purchase your second handgun. Run the background check and same process as above. Rinse and repeat for the 3rd purchase. If you don't want to break the bank renew the remaining PPPs that you did not use and it's good for the additional 90 days. The 180 days are counted concurrent days from the day they are first signed. After they expire they are useless and cannot be used for future purchases.
If you decide you wanted to purchase another handgun you now have to apply again for only the PPP and go through the same exhaustive background and mental check again. Pay your $2 per permit and do the above again.
The process is so tedious that it makes you want to grab as many permits as your wallet (and wife) allows. $2 per permit is not gonna break the bank. I requested for 6 one time. Never again. The pressures to figure out what you want in 180 days was not fun (extension required due to 30 day waiting) That's the jist of it. Open carry not allowed in NJ. CCW permits (a golden unicorn) are only issued on VERIFIED NEED BASIS only. Don't even know the costs involved since it will never happen. My state follows Castle Doctrine so very tricky even if one is to self defend in their own home.
How long have you been a gun owner by the way and nice to meet ya! Fuggetabout it!

Been thinking about this myself what/with all the current events. What should one get for easy to use home defense? Used to have an FID card which you remember used to be "for life" until that expired some time ago.

Well up to two years ago I had 20 some firearms including an AK47 and the previous model an SKS. Various German, Polish and others semi auto hand guns. I also had an FFL license for antique firearms FFL03. Now I surrendered my FFL03 and got out of the business.
Now I just have a few old friends some of which I had for over sixty years and personal protection guns.
At my age I don't need to leave a lot of guns for Barb to get rid of when I'm gone.

@ Bob most people say pump shotgun with the shorter 18" barrel for use in the home space. You can't really navigate the home with a trap/skeet 26"-28" barrel. I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with, also what your signficant other thinks as well as the family situation. The shotgun is not going to break the bank neither. If you opt for a handgun you have to also consider overpenetration. More impoartantly training and getting to know your firearms is the key thing. Some people get something and they never even take it to the range or field strip and clean to understand their own weapon. With thr right training and some home defense courses anyone can be proficient with anything and be safe at the same time.

@Rich I hope move outta NJ eventually to another state that appreciates the 2A. So many nice toys out there that we can't have cuz of our laws.

BobH, if only for home defense perhaps a shotgun. I think 18" is the shortest barrel legal to buy. The trouble with shotguns is there is no range I know of that will allow you to go and practice with it. So unless you can find an outdoor range or know someone with land who will allow you to shoot it there. It's gonna be tough. And I don't think the time to "learn" your new "tool" is when you actually HAVE to use it. You might consider something like the Taurus Judge. It can shoot a .410 shot shell. Those shells can be had with 4 .38" pellets. Definitely formidable. The nice thing is you can use .45 Colt in it and then at least get the feel of firing a large bore smaller handgun at an indoor range. And use the various shotshells for home defense. One person I know who is very knowledgeable in home defense said the first shell should be something like #4 shot, the second the large 000 buck shot. These will be 5 .36 cal balls. Then .45 Colt. I am not advocating that particular combo but sounds convincing to me.
George in NH most of my life I have had one kind or another around. Mostly shotguns though because I used to like to shoot trap and skeet. I actually never "bought" a long gun or hand gun. The current crop of rifles we have were inherited except for one which I had gotten in trade at a gun show here when we sold some of the obscure antique ones we inherited. But now as far as hand guns go the one I got Monday is the first one I ever actually "bought". Our other 2 (.22 Ruger Mark 1 and Taurus .357 mag 4") were inherited. I only got the 9mm to "round out" my experience. And for when my CCW is finally issued. Though in all honesty I am getting it so I have more flexibility taking them to and from the range. Police here are very touchy about just how they interpret "transporting" legally. Owning only SUVs makes it even more problematic. So if I were ever stopped while transporting and an officer's interpretation is different than mine I will have the CCW to fall back on. It will cover a wide variety of this type of thing.

Way back in the day before Ma got anti-gun crazy, I used to actually hunt bird and upland game in Eastern Ma. Had a nice Ithaca model 51 12 ga. As hunting dried up and it was never used I eventually sold it and my Ruger 10/22 plinker. So I have so distant experience. There is also a nice range near me now that I could practice with again. You're right, a handgun would take practice as only time I used one I flinched a lot. Do have a friend who joined a club and has encouraged me to join him and try out-he recommended a 9mm as not too bad a recoil, and might be able to find one not too bad $$. Right Rich-its funny to walk into a supermarket or Walgreens and see someone packing a Glock!

Bob, a decent 9mm like to one I just got has very light recoil. It's a little "sharper" than my large 357 with .38 or .38+P but still very mild IMO. For me the biggest thing to get used to was not the kick but the movement of the slide. But honestly that is not really bothersome now. I find it less "snappy" than my brother's Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm and WAY easier to handle if you have any type of impaired grip strength. People with more knowledge than me indicated if you ever hoped to use for defense it's about the smallest to trust. Yet I have seen others tout using a .22 so I don't know. Bottom line I find it very manageable

Larry, Bob, there are plenty of 9mm offerings out there. The ammo is plentiful and cheap. Well before the pandemic. 1000 rounds was less than $190. Personally I prefer the steel over the polymer guns. It helps mitigate barrel flip. I don't have to worry about the addded weight since I'll never see CCW happen in NJ. The CZ 75 and the classic Beretta 92FS or newer 92 series are great shooters. The compacts like the Glock 19 or Sig P320 seem to get squirrely in my hands. Could also be DA/SA versus the striker fired. I'm sure the Az ranges rent all types of handguns. Either way try whatever tickles your fancy.
Rich, I'm jealous! Supreme courts need to readdress CCW and reciprocacy laws.

When we moved here from California we went to a swap meet and a guy had a nice 45 1911 at a better than nice price. I asked what I had to fill out to buy it. He looked at me like I had horns. He then said "Here's how it works you give me cash I give you gun" I asked you don't need to see my license or something. His response was "I don't even want to know who the hell you are, much simpler that way" Not knowing how gun purchases worked in AZ at that time I passed.

Back