Got a Tractor Sprinkler

JBooker

TVWBB Super Fan
Finally back in stock so I could order one.

National Walking Sprinkler B3 HD model. Its kind of a pricey sprinkler but its all cast Iron, built in the USA and will pull 300 ft of hose. You can also buy every piece if you need replacement parts.

IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

Finally back in stock so I could order one. National Walking Sprinkler B3 HD model. Its kind of a pricey sprinkler but its all cast Iron, built in the USA and will pull 300 ft of hose. You can also buy every piece if you need replacement parts.
Is rust a concern being sold cast iron? Those are pretty cool sprinklers, do you have to have a special hose that bends and eventually chokes off the water?

My son got one last year when some elderly neighbors were moving to a condo. His dogs think that it is great fun on the hot days.

I assume your water pressure will influence how well it pulls your garden hose around the yard. I've always wanted to try one of these, but they don't give them away. Cool looking sprinkler though. It follows the path of the garden hose laying on the ground, correct?

That thing is a work of art! I'm a bit of a lawn nut and would have loved one of those a year ago. (we moved recently and bought a house w/ an irrigation system) Too much plastic on everything they make these days. I'd been buying new sprinklers almost annually the last several years because they just don't last.

Is rust a concern being sold cast iron? Those are pretty cool sprinklers, do you have to have a special hose that bends and eventually chokes off the water?

Not really any rust issues. A lot of the moving parts have bronze bushings. I am sure it will get hard water deposits over time. There are a few holes to put some drops of oil in. Use a little marine grease on the gear every now and then. You just lay the hose out in the yard and it follows it. The front wheel is cupped and rides on top of the hose. You have to have enough behind it to make a loop with out kinking the hose.

Last edited:
I assume your water pressure will influence how well it pulls your garden hose around the yard. I've always wanted to try one of these, but they don't give them away. Cool looking sprinkler though. It follows the path of the garden hose laying on the ground, correct?

Yea it just follows the hose. I don't know how much the water pressure will effect how much it can pull. As long as the arms are spinning it's moving forward. There are two sets of holes on the crank arms. You remove the bolt and move it to the inner hole if you want a lower gear / more water applied. The sprinkler arms are pretty long so it shouldn't stall. The longer they are the more leverage they have to apply to the gears that propel the sprinkler.

I'd think it might dig a couple trenches before it flat out stalls.

Last edited:
That thing is a work of art! I'm a bit of a lawn nut and would have loved one of those a year ago. (we moved recently and bought a house w/ an irrigation system) Too much plastic on everything they make these days. I'd been buying new sprinklers almost annually the last several years because they just don't last.

That's kind of why I got it. Mechanical thing are cool and it built like a tank. Just don't drop it. It would probably break the wheels. It weighs 32 lbs.

Those remind me of my grandparents. They used to have them in their yard.

Their web page says a Lincoln Nebraska original since 1937. A co worker ran across an old one at a sale. He was going to just repair it but the company that makes them offered to refinish and reconditioned it. I belive they only charged him for the parts replaced. But he did drop it off and pick it up, so there was no shipping.

Here is their website.
http://www.nationalwalkingsprinkler.com

I've used a yellow painted Nelson cast iron tractor sprinkler for 18 years and nothing waters better than it does. The new ones I've seen are plastic now but the one I bought in 97 is the good old heavy kind. I use it on spots my automatic sprinkler system is not so good on but there was a time when I watered my whole lawn with it.

Back