Got a chuckle when visiting new BBQ store.

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
I have been searching for a place local or online to purchase Furtado Farms smoking wood (Wellesley, Ontario, Canada) for a while now. My usual online source for BBQ accessories and stuff (Dicskson BBQ Centre) carries it but does not ship Charcoal or Wood. I am assuming the shipping costs would not make it worth while. My parents live about 15 minutes from Wellesley but with COVID and the shipping I'm not going to ask them to try a get me some.

When perusing Facebook one morning a new BBQ store pop up as a "recommended page". I check out there page and decided to give it a follow. Backyard Grills is mainly a Traeger supplier but I won't hold that against them. According to there website some of their other products are Thermoworks, Jelaous Devil and such. I figured it was a place I should check out. Over the Christmas holidays there page popped up in my feed saying they now carried Furtado Farms wood. The address online said they were in "Telus" (Telus is one of our big telecommunications companies. Lots of buildings and malls with their name on it). I was talking to a buddy who lives in the same city as the store and asked if he has heard of it and he had not. I asked him where the Telus building or Telus plaza was and he said he did not know of any. Saturday I decided to go and check them out, my wife I had to be home by 4:00 pm so we could run an errand. I had 3 hours to drive the 30 minutes there, then wander around the store and drive home. I told my wife I may not be home in time.

I put the address into my GPS and headed out on my adventure. I arrived at the address looking for a large building or plaza with Telus splashed across it but did not see any. I looked for a store with Backyard Grills on it and could not find it. Checked the GPS again and I was at the right address. Driving past a strip mall I noticed a little fold up sign saying Backyard Grills in front of a Telus "Store". I parked went into the store and asked if they knew where Backyard Grills was and they directed me around the wall to the back of their store. Backyard Grills was about the size of my home office. I could stand in one place turn 360 degrees and almost touch each wall. I browsed for about 5 minutes and found the wood I was looking for and returned home. My wife teased me about spending want to spend 3 hours in the BBQ store only to find out how small it was for the rest of the weekend.

I consider my adventure a success though because I now have a local supplier of Furtado Farms wood.

That is a great story. Getting good local smoking wood is worth it. Just think when they get bigger and bigger you can say I remember when...

That is a good one! I’ve got some nice cherry I still need to cut down to useable size. No stores around here with much of anything as far as “Good” smoke wood!

Back