Good sausage maker without spending crazy $$?

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Would love to try and make my own sausages, but don't want to spend big bucks...Anyone have any suggestions? The reviews on ones that are in the range that I feel like spending are kinda iffy. Would like to keep it under $200...Thx.

Are you talking about a sausage stuffer or a grinder?

The LEM 5lb stuffer is generally well regarded, and under $200. Hakka Brothers is another one that I've heard decent things about as well, and you can pick up their 7lb, dual gear stuffer for ~$180.

If you are talking about a grinder, there are many models in the smaller #5 or #8 sizes that are in that budget range. What you spend your money on will have a lot to do with the frequency and batch size you want to make. I had a Maverick brand #5 for many years before I stepped up to a "big boy" #12 grinder, and it did fine for me and my occasional 5-10lb batches.

There's always the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment if you have one of their mixers, which is a cheaper entry level kind of option.

One thing I will say is......if you believe that you can get a grinder and use that to stuff sausages, you should be prepared to be frustrated. I tried it once, and bought a dedicated stuffer the next day.

Tell us more about what you think you want to do, Bill, and I'm sure we can come up with more thoughts for ya!

R

Can "grinding" be done in a food processor?
i'll have to dig it up but a forum member posted an Ebay link to a Aliexpress flavored powerful grinder for a very good price. like less than $79. just no-brand but it was SS IIRC.

while you can grind in a FP, a grinder delivers a MUCH better results, IMO, from my own experience.

the metal KA grinder I got on Amazon has been great so far. just don't ask it to do massive amounts of grinding. its worked very well for 20 burgers at home and single grind on chicken breasts and thighs (no skin). i have not stuffed sausage with it though. that'll b this summer.

i will try to find the link i am referencing and re-share it.

i'll have to dig it up but a forum member posted an Ebay link to a Aliexpress flavored powerful grinder for a very good price. like less than $79. just no-brand but it was SS IIRC.

while you can grind in a FP, a grinder delivers a MUCH better results, IMO, from my own experience.

the metal KA grinder I got on Amazon has been great so far. just don't ask it to do massive amounts of grinding. its worked very well for 20 burgers at home and single grind on chicken breasts and thighs (no skin). i have not stuffed sausage with it though. that'll b this summer.

i will try to find the link i am referencing and re-share it.
this: https://tvwbb.com/threads/not-just-any-burger.88386/post-990357

I bought a refurb grinder several years ago, similar to the link above that I posted some time ago. I usually grind around 15-20lbs. of pork when making sausage, no trouble here. I concur with Rich G, I wouldn't try to stuff with one of these grinders, it will only frustrate you. I too have the LEM 5lb. vertical stuffer, money well spent along with the Hakka Brothers meat mixer. Depending on your batch sizes, I would shy away from the Kitchen Aid attachments for stuffing, just my .02.

Last edited:
While I don't do a lot of sausages anymore the kitchen Aid has been great for a long time, I can't tell you how many lbs of deer I have ground up with it. I already had the mixer and this was a cheap and easy way to see how I liked and would use a full sized grinder. I purchased a dedicated grinder a few years later and it rarely gets used, the KA comes with stuffing tubes. If I had it to do again I wouldn't buy the stand alone grinder

While I don't do a lot of sausages anymore the kitchen Aid has been great for a long time, I can't tell you how many lbs of deer I have ground up with it. I already had the mixer and this was a cheap and easy way to see how I liked and would use a full sized grinder. I purchased a dedicated grinder a few years later and it rarely gets used, the KA comes with stuffing tubes. If I had it to do again I wouldn't buy the stand alone grinder
You can even drop the price down to a knock-off of the KitchenAid attachment. Currently $35.99 for everything you need:

As a long time sausage maker I agree with going the kitchen aid route. I used mine for years and still use the KA for small batches. I currently use a LEM #5 grinder (349) and LEM 5 lb stuffer (189). I make 10 pounds minimum as a rule. Pricey which is why I recommend the KA option until you decide that sausage making is for you. I also use the grinder for ground meat, bread crumbs, and the like.
1645279935040.png 1645280132178.png

I own and use this one. My primary use is for ground meats. I haven’t made sausage with it yet. This unit grinds up burgers quickly and easily. And I do a blend on burgers. It also makes great single grind chicken which I use for kebobs, and for making ragu.

Meat Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixers, Accessories Included 2 Sausage Stuffer Tubes, Durable Metal Food Grinder Attachments by Kitchood, Silver
by Kitchood Direct
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VKNHG8/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:

Back