good rib racks

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
any suggestion? I have some weber ones I have used for a while but I have to say not so good. Ribs lay sideways and touch and always are a pain to remove.

I've got to be honest: I've used a couple different rib racks and what I've found works best for me is simply a few wooden skewers in between the racks. Added bonus: no messy rack to clean when you're done!
icon_smile.gif

The Charbroil (3 slab) rib and potato racks seem to make the most sense, but they're certainly not heavy duty stainless. They are cheap, though, and I found mine at Lowes. They seperate the slabs good, and the tater prongs can prop up a couple of more slabs or tips. The slots do a good job holding the ribs up, but they're short for curling the ends as needed.

Not sure if they will fit in the 18" WSM but Southern Steamers has a very nice rack that works very well for BDS users. These will hold 9 racks of ribs.

I had a set of Raichlen Rib Racks that were nice and large. The weld broke after a couple of years, but they are heavy and solid for the most part.

I currently own the Weber Style Stainless Steel Rib Rack and I am happy with it. It is very large. It appears larger and sturdier than the other Weber rib rack (my brother had that one). Either way, I only use them if I am smoking more than three ribs most of the time.

I had a few of the charbroil. They are a pain to clean - lots of metal and places for crud to build up during a cook.

What I use now is a non-stick roast holder. Found it on clearance at Kroger for $2. Turn it upside down and voila, instant rib rack. The non stick makes cleaning a breeze.

I've seen non stick roast sets (pan and holder) with a similar holder for $10 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

edit: Roaster set. I think this goes on sale for $10.

Should you but a roast holder to use as a rib rack, be sure there's no metal running across the length of the bottom as that'll prevent you from getting ribs in there. I think the Weber roast holder has this, so it's not the best choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
The Charbroil (3 slab) rib and potato racks seem to make the most sense, but they're certainly not heavy duty stainless. They are cheap, though, and I found mine at Lowes. They seperate the slabs good, and the tater prongs can prop up a couple of more slabs or tips. The slots do a good job holding the ribs up, but they're short for curling the ends as needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I too use the Char-Broil racks when I need the extra capacity. Cheap - about $5~$6 at Lowes or Home Depot. Cleanup is easy - they're small enough to just throw them into the dishwasher.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Not sure if they will fit in the 18" WSM but Southern Steamers has a very nice rack that works very well for BDS users. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No they will not fit on an 18" WSM but they will just barely squeeze into a 22" WSM.

on a german list a guy made ones that made/let the ribs curve to meet the bend of the kettle. looked like the right idea to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
on a german list a guy made ones that made/let the ribs curve to meet the bend of the kettle. looked like the right idea to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds smart, but since the Charbroil racks are shorter than most, you can curve the ends around as much as you need. They are made just right to space the slabs and keep them vertical, as well. I recently smoked nine slabs on my 18.5" wsm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Not sure if they will fit in the 18" WSM but Southern Steamers has a very nice rack that works very well for BDS users. These will hold 9 racks of ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've got one of their racks. They're rather large so I cut it in half to make two smaller racks. These half sizes will fit nicely in an 18", but not a full rack.

Sweet thanx a lot guys! I've got some more research to do but at least I have a starting point. I probably should have said I have the 22.5" WSM.

TravisH
You said the ones from Southern Steamers barely squeeze in the 22" WSM. Do you have them and any pics?

PeterD
You have any pics with the rack by David Klose?

When I do cook ribs I'm normally cooking a ton on both levels so I need bigger ones. Think the Char-Broil ones would be to small for me.

Thanx again everyone!

Chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_B:

TravisH
You said the ones from Southern Steamers barely squeeze in the 22" WSM. Do you have them and any pics? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No but I did the math for Cory L and George L.

Read this thread - Southern Steamers LLC rib rack

I've used six slot racks in my uds, which is 22.5 as well, and I'll tell you that nine slabs will be tight, even if the rack fits. I'd use a six slot one like the Charcoal Companion and you could lean an extra slab against one end of it for a total of 14 slabs.

You're welcome.

It's not very heavy duty and the welds will probably eventually break, but it's cheap and is about the right design and dimensions.

Chuck B, here's another option from Amazon: Onward MFG Rib Rack #26028.
icon_smile.gif
"Stick-free" coating and you can load 6 racks per grate for a total of 12 using the example pictured in the 22.5 WSM test cooks by Chris A.
icon_wink.gif
Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R. Hanson ("Rondo"):
Chuck B, here's another option from Amazon: Onward MFG Rib Rack #26028.
icon_smile.gif
"Stick-free" coating and you can load 6 racks per grate for a total of 12 using the example pictured in the 22.5 WSM test cooks by Chris A.
icon_wink.gif
Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference between this design and the Charcoal Companion is it appears that the CC slot supports are higher.

In the quest for better rib racks (I believe five so far) I've learned that the higher supports space the slabs better by holding them more vertical. This is especially important if you ever cook full or large spares AND it makes the ends stay put better after you curl around to meet the curvature of the cooker. I think the poster is on track in trying the CC for a large WSM, and you can't beat the little cheap Charbroil rib/tater racks for the little wsm.

Back