Good price on spares - WNY area

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
This is mainly for those around the Buffalo area...

Sloan Super Market sloansupermarket reduced their spares even further to $1.39/lb (case price which is 3 - 2 packs) either this week or last weeklyspecials. I've bought these once already, I forget who the supplier was, sorry, but they were in cryo and were real good spares last time.

So I called them up yesterday and asked for 8 slabs (for a big camping cook this Friday) and asked one of the butchers if they would trim them St. Louis style for me. I'm just too busy trying to get ready for camping (and I don't want to have to do it on site) to trim 8 slabs. He said no problem and I asked how much it would increase the price. He said he could do 8 slabs, St. Louis style trimmed, for $1.49/lb. I thought this was an unbelievable deal.

Todd

Yup, I've got full packers there, can't remember exactly the price, but it wasn't bad, and I've also gotten a chuck roll from them. All fresh, nothing frozen, and they have it in stock, I've never had to wait and order it. The briskets are choice. The chuck roll was select.

Todd

I used to get some meat from them a few years ago (Non BBQ stuff)..but it seemed liked there quality started to slip...It might be time to stop back in...

Thanks for the info..you should have said high at the Best of the Best comp

Hey Dave,

I would have definitely given you a shout, but I wasn't exactly sure which group you were when I was out there!!! Plus, if you were the ones I think you were, somebody was cutting up some chicken and there was about 5 people in line waiting to steal it away
icon_smile.gif

Todd

If it was Friday..that would have been me...Sat I didn't cook chiken....if you would have said the magic words.."I'm from TVWB.....you could have had a free lunch."
icon_smile.gif

And yes, you are not the first person that has had an issue with quality. JB had a bad butt one time a while back. I've never had any issues. I've probably purchased in total 6 butts, 4 slabs of BB, 6 slabs of spares, 2 or 3 packers, and the chuck roll over the last year from them, and all of it was fine.

I'm not particularly fond of their steaks, they don't advertise the usda, which makes me think it's all select. They always have jumbo chicken wings on sale for 0.99 - 1.09 / lb, but I've not purchased any yet.

The convenience of the location means a lot for me, it's more or less on my way home from work, and/or only about 10 minutes down the road from my house, and that's a lot easier for me to get to than any of the BJs.

Todd

out of curiosity, how much did the case weigh?

the brisket I got there was 14#, choice, and less than 2 bucks/#.

I'm still looking for "my" butcher but sloan is slowly becoming it. They are so easy to deal with, usually have what I need, and you wont be able to beat their prices. I haven't tried to special order anything exotic yet, but its about the last test they'll need to pass.

It seems like there was some kind of turnover about 2-3 years ago. The wall behind the butcher counter has a mural of the family and they added camillo's to the title of the store. Not sure what it all means.

The last case (3 - 2 packs spares) I bought was early July and I don't know if I ever even looked at the weight. I think it was $45, and I paid their "normal" case price of $1.49/lb so that'd make it about 30 lbs. That's inline with their avg advertised weigh in their ad too. I did not have them trim them that time.

I'm picking up the 8 slabs today, but trimmed, so I'm thinking it will actually be cheaper. A buddy of mine is going to take 4 slabs and do his marinade on them (no idea what it is). I'll just rub my 4 slabs like my normal way. Friday about 11AM all 8 slabs will go in the WSM. The group I'll be with go nuts over the falling off the bone tender, so I'll probably go with the 3-2-1 method, and kick the heat up a little toward the end to really push them through.

We head out tomorrow for camping. Going to do 8 half chickens for dinner tomorrow, high heat, quick cook since I won't be setup until probably 3PM. I should probaby grab a bag of lump. As you probably can guess, I told everybody else they can deal with the sides
icon_smile.gif

Todd

I hope you are getting your lump from the Food Terminal.

I ordered a little bitty piggy from them a few years ago with no problems

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hope you are getting your lump from the Food Terminal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do they have there?

I've been driving up to Niagara County Produce for Humphrey's Lump for 8.50/20#

They used to carry the Hump Lump but they've been having a hard time getting it...so they switched to Parkers Mnt Pure Lump out of Tenn...
Its good stuff...just as good as the hump but it doesn't spark as much and the pieces seem to be bigger...I've been using it and have been happy with it...its 8.50 a bag and if you are planning on hitting the sloan market the terminal is only about 10 min away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Would any of you care to compare Sloan's to Will Poultry which is just on the other side of Filmore on Williams St. ?

TIA,

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First you don't need a gun to go to the Sloan Market
icon_smile.gif

The Sloan market has an "old time corner store" feel to it...and you don't have to buy large amounts....
I think at Will you need to buy by the case

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Witt:
Just Checked out the Will Poultry Site..looks like they sell Tri Tip...anyone want to split a case? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe .. You got a gun? I do..
icon_biggrin.gif
I think Pigs is trying to get me killed
icon_rolleyes.gif
BTW, they have bellies there too.

Bill

EDIT: Dave, I think (not sure) they have a showroom as well and anything that's out can be bought that way..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Witt:
Just Checked out the Will Poultry Site..looks like they sell Tri Tip...anyone want to split a case? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe .. You got a gun? I do..
icon_biggrin.gif
I think Pigs is trying to get me killed
icon_rolleyes.gif
BTW, they have bellies there too.

Bill

EDIT: Dave, I think (not sure) they have a showroom as well and anything that's out can be bought that way.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to check it out....I grew up in that nhood....let me know about the tri tip..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, they have bellies there too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good to know, been looking for a source, I think I saw them once at hoowa's asian market on sheridan but nobody there speaks much english. I'm ok getting bok choy there but pork's a different thing all together.

I've only been to the food terminal once to checkout the sausage maker, and it was a tiny adventure finding the right place. anybody want to clue me in to how I go about getting the lump?

you're certainly right about hump being dusty and crummy. I always enjoy the show when I light up a chimney of it on the propane burner, but I am afraid it might take out my garage.

Will Poultry has the lump in the Food Terminal..if you are coming from Bailey..its the last building in the terminal on the far left side...The very end of the terminal...you can't miss it...

FYI..Market in the Square has bellies evey now and then as well..but it's hit and miss if they have them...they also carry other things you don't see very much...unsmoked hamhocks, brains, livers, hearts ect....

Briskets there are hit and miss as well...when they get them they get a bunch and they are cheap 1.89lb full packers.

Back