Good Containers to store Charcoal/Pellets/Wood Chunks. What do you use?

Mike-GA

TVWBB Fan
Do you have something you like using to store Charcoal / Pellets / Wood Chunks?

Here's an inexpensive container I use to store Charcoal Briquettes & Smoking Wood Chunks.

Buddeez Charcoal Bin at Sams Club.jpg

"Buddeez Food Storage and Dispenser, Black" 32 qt. at Sam's Club for $12.68

Keeps moisture out. Holds a 20lb bag of briquettes easily. Handle on side & bottom make it easier to pour. Stack-able. Just ordered another for Lump Charcoal. I believe it's the same as the $20+ black/blue Kingsford Charcoal Bin by same maker but marketed differently with different Translucent/Black color scheme.

Here is the same thing as above but with an additional Red Spout in lid to pour Pellets:

"Buddeez 40 Lb. Pellet and Multi-Use Storage Dispenser" at Sam's Club for $14.98. (they also have a 2-pack for $24.98)

Last edited:
I use something very similar if not identical. One is a Kingsford branded one and blue but otherwise like the first one, with the door, the other from Sams Club with the spout in the door like the second one for pellets.

I need to grab a couple more though for various types

I use the Kingsford-branded black and blue version of the container you show here. I found them at Home Depot and Ace Hardware.

I've got the same one with the red spout that I bought at Sam's Club for pellets. I wish the black lid snapped on just a little more securely. It popped off once when I was filling my hopper. Now I'm paranoid and keep a hand on the lid while I'm pouring. Works really nice to fit a 40# bag of pellets.

i like and use the Kingsford container:

and flip top lids for smoking woods so i can see what i have:

I’ve got two of the Kingsford branded Buddeez containers, one is twenty years old the other I got last fall. For smoke media, five gallon butter tubs from a bakery down the street 2 bucks a pop! I’ve probably got fifteen of them in use for storing “patio related” equipment. They seal nicely and keep things clean.
I have a dozen holding outdoor lighting, tablecloths, grilling tools, all kinds of stuff.
IMG_0377.jpeg

I have a few of the blue Kingsford containers.

They seem sturdy enough, and weathertight.

A generalization for sure, but I am a big believer in “you get what you pay for”.
I agree John, cheap plastic stuff is very prone to cracking and breaking especially in winter! The old one has lived in the elements all its life so far, part of the handle went missing a couple of years ago but, I have great respect for the quality. I think the first one was a season blowout at Lowe’s for maybe ten bucks? The last one was a Wally World deal DELIVERED for under $20.00 or so! Can’t complain about that.
I can’t see myself really needing a third, I rarely go through 40# of coal at a stretch. Unless I do a whole hog but, that’s a different story.

I'm not even sure how many of the Kingsford containers I have. I feel like I went through a stretch of just buying one whenever I saw them at the hardware store. :ROFLMAO:

I tend to have a little more charcoal than I need on hand because, well, I might need to use all of it at once one day.

I picked up some used pool chlorine tablet buckets - little narrower than regular 5-gal bucket and a little taller. Come with 1/4-turn locking lid with a rubber seal. I paid around $3 each.

The kitty litter pails, Chlorine bucket, flip top tote, 5 gallons buckets, butter tubs, etc are all good creative ideas. Would love to hear more like that. It makes me think there must be a lot of big plastic food containers that restaurants toss that would work well.

Last edited:
This vintage Weber Charcoal Bin is a neat idea. Not sure when they last made them. Kind of a collector's item now rather than something to use regularly.

s-l1600.jpg

Someone is listing the above one on ebay for $40 plus $35 shipping.

Prices all over the place. Seen it on Ebay for as much as $145 plus shipping. Youch! I saw another one of these Weber Charcoal Bins locally on FBM bundled with a vintage wood handle Smokey Joe plus bags of charcoal, all looked in excellent shape, all together for something like $50. That bundle sold pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I’ve got just about all I can comfortably store right now but, I am going to Costco today and might need to see if they have any Kpro left. I’ll probably use a bag and a bit on Saturday.

For smoke wood chunks I use milk crates or small dollar store laundry baskets because I like to let it breathe.
Seal it you can trap in moisture and that causes mold.
Charcoal stay in the bags on my metal shelving unit.
Pellets also in bags but stored in totes. When opened I use a Dunkin donuts can to store about 2#.
1692972255166.png

The charcoal bin on my WPD meets my needs as I only grill around 6 times a month. I also have a small outdoor enclosed storage space where I can store 6 large charcoal bags.

Attachments

• AA78AFEA-5613-41AC-8275-D020911EED7E.jpeg
    AA78AFEA-5613-41AC-8275-D020911EED7E.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I really like my Weber Fuel Storage Bags. Got one for charcoal, another for wood chunks. The handle and materials are very good.

Gone up in price since I bought them last year. I'm sure they've gotten $4 better... :rolleyes:

So I use the kingsford for both charcoal and wood chucks. I like them because they stack. If I would have taken this picture yesterday I would have had those kingsford containers stacked next to the shelf but moved them away to add electric to my shed.

I am also in the camp of using kitty litter containers since they stack are portable and can handle the weight. I was lucky to live near a guy whose wife had 9 cats and used a lot of litter. But Timothy is correct and I learned the hard way with five containers of apple wood I cut. I stored them when they were still green and they molded. Now I air dry in milk containers in the shed and then add to a sealed container after they have dried.
IMG_3198.jpeg

Back