Gonna try my first rotisserie turkey tomorrow

Peter Condit

TVWBB Member
I have a 10.5 pounder that I am going to try to do on my weber genesis tomorrow. It is going to be close, but I think I can do it with the grill racks removed. I should have clearance over the flavorizer bars. If there is a clearance problem, I thought about maybe taking the center flavorizers out and using just the front and rear burner. Just wrap the center in foil to keep if from getting mucked up.

Any recommendations on grill temp, rub or anything else appreciated. I am going to put it in a brine bath over night.

Can I do stuffing in the bird this way or am I best to do that separate?

Agree with Greg, asking for problems stuffing it. Plus the bird will cook more evenly with the cavity open.

No stuffing. I usually just use the front burner and keep it about 325F. That said, up north here I have to use the front and rear burners now and through the winter to get it to 325F. You can crank it up at the end if you want a crispier skin.

Thanks guys.

Not quite as far north as you Richard, although I believe our weather is not that different. But we are having freakish great weather this week. It was about 70-75 today. So, looks like it will be single burner here.

BTW, didn't do it today. Work got in the way.

I am hoping 36 hrs in a brine bath isn't excessive.

Should I take it out early tomorrow and let it dry out a bit?

Thanks guys.

Not quite as far north as you Richard, although I believe our weather is not that different. But we are having freakish great weather this week. It was about 70-75 today. So, looks like it will be single burner here.

BTW, didn't do it today. Work got in the way.

I am hoping 36 hrs in a brine bath isn't excessive.

Should I take it out early tomorrow and let it dry out a bit?
Yeah Peter, warm here too this week after some snow last week. Did a prime rib yesterday on the rotisserie since it was so nice and it was delicious. 😋

Came out well. Here it is right before pulling it off.

turkey.jpgThermometer said 170, but the drumsticks were still pretty stiff. I think my thermometer might be reading a little high. Gonna get another.

It was cooked well and tasted great.

Front burner only was borderline on getting it to 325, so I used the rear turned down low as well. Finished it with both which quikly got it to 500.

Came out well. Here it is right before pulling it off.

View attachment 17458Thermometer said 170, but the drumsticks were still pretty stiff. I think my thermometer might be reading a little high. Gonna get another.

It was cooked well and tasted great.

Front burner only was borderline on getting it to 325, so I used the rear turned down low as well. Finished it with both which quikly got it to 500.
Woohoo, glad it turned out Peter! You are ready for turkey day 2.0 next week. 👍😋

Back