Gonna Have to contact Dave Santanna

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well as the title suggests I'm gonna have to see if I can get him to make me a set of heat tents for the Wolf. Oddly Wolf used some very thin stainless (looked like 20 or maybe even 22 ga) which is odd for a $10k grill. Mine is also an older one and did not have the newer style tents with the vent slots in them. I'd like to see if he (Dave) can make them in the newer style for me. Anyway the originals are burning through finally. (not like I was hoping for that as it's not an expense I care for right now) especially in light of needing to spend close to $3k soon to remove one of my enormous oak trees :( from my back yard

Know the pain of the tree removal. just paid $2200 to have our large tree in our small back yard removed, had to take it out had 8" roots right under the surface going under the patio and the slab already had a crack in the foundation they found when we replaced the tile in the kitchen.
That tree shaded all my Qs behind the house, really miss it but not the bird crap that got all over the BBQ covers or the 2-foot-deep leaves in the fall.

Our neighborhood was built in the early 1930's as a lake house community. Everything was done close together and on a budget, and the trees were left to grow. Over the years, the trees grew and spread over the houses because no one thought ahead. Now, in recent years, everyone is slowly but surely paying the big bucks for the cranes and the big difficult tree removals.

On the upside, the neighborhood is slowly getting more appropriate landscaping. Oak trees are great, but they need their space.

The issue with my oak (actually 2 of the 3) was due to poor soil condition. IIRC lack of iron. I hired an arborist to do treatments on all 3. 2 have shown improvement but the worst of them (which sadly had actually been the prettiest of the 3) is declining so fast it's nuts. Within just a few weeks it has now had 3/4 of remaining greenery turn brown and shrivel up and fall off, large limbs are coming off as well, plus it sits next to my second garage. So it's time to have it go. Sadly oak is one of the more sought after hardwoods but it does not seem to be of value to deduct from the cost of removing it

Well as the title suggests I'm gonna have to see if I can get him to make me a set of heat tents for the Wolf. Oddly Wolf used some very thin stainless (looked like 20 or maybe even 22 ga) which is odd for a $10k grill. Mine is also an older one and did not have the newer style tents with the vent slots in them. I'd like to see if he (Dave) can make them in the newer style for me. Anyway the originals are burning through finally. (not like I was hoping for that as it's not an expense I care for right now) especially in light of needing to spend close to $3k soon to remove one of my enormous oak trees :( from my back yard
If that doesn't pan out, or is too much for the budget with shipping and all, maybe Jon can ask the shop that is doing his Summit patch panels?

If that doesn't pan out, or is too much for the budget with shipping and all, maybe Jon can ask the shop that is doing his Summit patch panels?
Yep I might just have to call upon him. Just wondering...................how long are the flavo bars on the single row Genesis grills i.e. B,C? Who knows maybe I can grab a set of those

Good idea Larry if the flavo bars are basically the same shape. Maybe find model that is even a bit longer and cut them off.
RE: Oak trees. Are you sure it is not Oak Wilt? We have lots of them dying around us. I think it is the white oak with the pointy leaves. I had to take out 4 or 5 a few years ago. I just took out two more smaller ones this year. I have a couple more that are on their way out.
The way they go is late in the summer, the trees will start to die off high up. They will lose their leaves on the top 1/3 or so of the tree about this time of year. Then the next spring, the tree will either be totally dead or maybe come back with leaves on just the bottom portion and then die off later that summer or for sure the following spring. The tell tale sign is when you start seeing the leaves on the top portions dying and falling off mid to late summer.

Good idea Larry if the flavo bars are basically the same shape. Maybe find model that is even a bit longer and cut them off.
RE: Oak trees. Are you sure it is not Oak Wilt? We have lots of them dying around us. I think it is the white oak with the pointy leaves. I had to take out 4 or 5 a few years ago. I just took out two more smaller ones this year. I have a couple more that are on their way out.
The way they go is late in the summer, the trees will start to die off high up. They will lose their leaves on the top 1/3 or so of the tree about this time of year. Then the next spring, the tree will either be totally dead or maybe come back with leaves on just the bottom portion and then die off later that summer or for sure the following spring. The tell tale sign is when you start seeing the leaves on the top portions dying and falling off mid to late summer.
I had a board certified arborist out. He said it was a nutrient issue (maybe what you might call "wilt?"). Anyway he gave all 3 a deep root treatment with what looked like a giant hypodermic on a pogo stick. It did help 2 of them but the one directly in the center of my yard is going....................fast. This was taken a few weeks ago. What you see in the photo as light green is now brown, dried, shriveled and falling off. Given it's proximity to the building I cannot chance leaving it there anymore
1660505001399.jpeg

Well I sent him an email. We'll see what if anything he comes up with. Though I could not even find his stuff on Flea Bay

I had a board certified arborist out. He said it was a nutrient issue (maybe what you might call "wilt?"). Anyway he gave all 3 a deep root treatment with what looked like a giant hypodermic on a pogo stick. It did help 2 of them but the one directly in the center of my yard is going....................fast. This was taken a few weeks ago. What you see in the photo as light green is now brown, dried, shriveled and falling off. Given it's proximity to the building I cannot chance leaving it there anymore
View attachment 57436
Nice yard. The builder just through down some seed and straw for us. All we have now is crab grass and no grass. Will need a total overhaul this fall.

Nice yard. The builder just through down some seed and straw for us. All we have now is crab grass and no grass. Will need a total overhaul this fall.
That's what I got when I had a new house built. I watered it constantly and it came in nice and full. I was pretty shocked.

That's what I got when I had a new house built. I watered it constantly and it came in nice and full. I was pretty shocked.
Yeah same happened to wife and I on first house. We bought it in May of 88 and it was the worst drought and highest heat of all time for our area. Not a good time to start a lawn. All I got was weeds and crabgrass as well. But I watered and oddly enough the following spring I had a very nice thick lawn. Go figure.

Sadly oak is one of the more sought after hardwoods but it does not seem to be of value to deduct from the cost of removing it
Sadly, lumber mills aren't interested in residential trees - too much chance of metal embedded in the wood that would wreck their equipment and kill the profit. Even firewood guys often stay away from oak because it can take two years to season fully.

Sadly, lumber mills aren't interested in residential trees - too much chance of metal embedded in the wood that would wreck their equipment and kill the profit. Even firewood guys often stay away from oak because it can take two years to season fully.
We found this out when taking down a large white oak. It is sad. I did save a few pieces that I am still using in my smoker. 1660657992900.png

Back