Gonna Have to contact Dave Santanna

IIRC my trees are Pin Oak. No metal in them. (well maybe a couple errant .177 pellets from trying to assassinate PIA tree rats :D) but I have no clue what color the wood is. No fireplace (well wood burning anymore) since I had it torn out and replaced with a sealed 85% eff gas fireplace (with remote control no less). Cold winter night "honey what say we build a fire?" "Sure" click, fire. :D
No smoker either. Besides, even if I had a smoker that tree is about 4' diameter and 40' tall. I could likely run a smoker for about the next 50 years :D
I sure do hope someone can make use of it though.

Larry, if you get it down, just list it on FB MP and CL for someone to come over and cut it up and haul it off. You should be able to get them to clean up the scrub brush left over as well. That tree will feed their wood burning furnace a looong time. People love to come over for nice easy hardwood they don't have take down themselves and can work in a nice clean yard instead of the middle of a forest.

I tried that with the last maple tree. Not a soul took me up. They'd rather pay an arm and leg for wood already prepped for them here. Different breed of people down here in butter cow land :D Plus last thing I want is a 40' 4' round tree lying around my back yard while people hem and haw and take a piece here or there. I need to limit damage to the yard and have things fully cleaned up so I can make repairs to the yard (if needed) as quickly as I can

I hear ya Larry. But I have people offering to take the trees down if they can keep the wood. I just don't trust Billy Bob and his buddy with a tow strap and 82 pickup against a 60 foot Oak. But I would have a dozen takers within two days on a downed oak in my back yard.

You can most easily tell a white oak from a red oak by the rounded shape of the leaves. The bark is also a little different.

I agree, Larry. I barely trust myself with a big chainsaw, never mind Billy Bob. There are a hundred ways to hurt yourself badly.

Not to rudely interject, but what about Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer? Did you not get any response?

One of the ongoing unfortunate things from this COVID/supply chain nightmare is the loss of Dave’s top drawer workmanship for things he apparently cannot realistically sell, at least as things stand right now.

Not to rudely interject, but what about Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer? Did you not get any response?

One of the ongoing unfortunate things from this COVID/supply chain nightmare is the loss of Dave’s top drawer workmanship for things he apparently cannot realistically sell, at least as things stand right now.
He just got back to me today. He was very happy I came to him for a repeat business. He said making the new style type tents (with the louvers) would be crazy expensive die to it being so complicated. So he recommended simple tents in 14ga material. Though that may be over kill as near as I can tell the originals are only 18ga. And given the grill is well over 20 yo, and only just this year showing deterioration along the bottom edges I'm thinking 16ga would be more than sufficient. Hell I should last so long given being over 70 now. But, I did ask him to quote me both ways.
Sadly he's on Covid lock down for awhile. So he said he'd get in touch with me soon. I'll post updates as they occur

You can most easily tell a white oak from a red oak by the rounded shape of the leaves. The bark is also a little different.

I agree, Larry. I barely trust myself with a big chainsaw, never mind Billy Bob. There are a hundred ways to hurt yourself badly.
Or drop a huge tree on a tiny shed, let alone a house.

Thanks, for the update, Larry. (y)
I am glad Dave still wants to do what he is able to right now. I wish he could find a good source for those stainless rods and get back into the grate business.

I barely trust myself with a big chainsaw, never mind Billy Bob. There are a hundred ways to hurt yourself badly.
LOL. Ya know last year, oddly enough my wife (of all people) thought I should buy one of these https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcps620b/20v-max-xrr-brushless-cordless-pole-saw-tool-only so I did. Guess what? it's in my garage and has been used all of one time. To trim my NEIGHBOR's tree not even my own :D Now it's back in the garage where it will likely sit maybe until my survivors come and see what's left behind and marvel at how well I kept it :D

Larry, I bought one of those about 4-5 years ago, only it was a $39 one from HF. Portland I think was the brand. I trimmed a bunch of limbs of an Ok in my front yard as well as several others out back. I topped my Lilacs with it as well. It is a corded saw, but that is fine as I don't plan on using it out in the woods. I don't use it a lot and that is why I am happy with only paying what I did for it. But when I have used it, I cannot complain. I have cut 4" wide limbs off with it no issues.

I bought the Harbor Freight one and used it until the chain got dull. I can't source one from Harbor Freight and I lack the knowledge/motivation to make one or find the correct one. I suppose I could sharpen it. In the meantime Larry, please let me borrow yours.

I bought the Harbor Freight one and used it until the chain got dull. I can't source one from Harbor Freight and I lack the knowledge/motivation to make one or find the correct one. I suppose I could sharpen it. In the meantime Larry, please let me borrow yours.
Gonna have a long ride LOL. Would just be easier to do what I did. Amazon

Back