Going to look at this tomorrow...

That’s nice! What kind of wood, stain, varnish did you use? I‘m going for that same look.
I used redwood. It is available locally at lumberyards here in California. Most people use a marine spar varnish on their wood slats. I live in a sunny, dry temperate Mediterranean climate, so I went with something different, a product called Osmo UV protection oil. Flood CWF-UV is a similar product I discovered afterwards that is cheaper and more readily available. Bruce, Dave in KC, Timothy and others would have a better idea of how to finish the slats for your climate. It also depends on how you will store your grill. I think there are some spar varnishes that come in matte or satin finish, if you want the same appearance as mine. I grew up in suburban Detroit but have lived in SoCal for 30 years. I don't miss Michigan weather at all.

Here is my build thread with more details:
https://tvwbb.com/threads/genesis-1000-redhead-restoration.80175/

If you do get the Z bars from Dave, know that you will need 7. I ordered 6 by mistake and you can see the one black Z bar on the folding shelf. I would order another one, but shipping one bar is pricey. The bars are pre-drilled and the corners are rounded. All you need to do is mount your slats.

That burgundy lid is beautiful; I can't wait to see the finished product.

You can always paint the Z bars black. I think on a black frame that they look better than the silver.

You can always paint the Z bars black. I think on a black frame that they look better than the silver.
I looked into painting SS. It can be done with a little extra effort. Since I used stainless hardware and I really liked the look of the silver accents, I left the Z bars unfinished.

I honestly didn't realize there were any issues with painting stainless. I figured it was basically the same as any other steel. Just a good prep, spray painting and top coating with paint. Hmmmmm.
If you have other visible Silver on the grill, it would fit in nicely.

My new project :redmastertouch: This is my 4th redhead.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpeg
    IMG_1694.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1695.jpeg
    IMG_1695.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1693-1.jpeg
    IMG_1693-1.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 8
I honestly didn't realize there were any issues with painting stainless. I figured it was basically the same as any other steel. Just a good prep, spray painting and top coating with paint. Hmmmmm.
If you have other visible Silver on the grill, it would fit in nicely.

I used stainless z-bars on my Skyline. They were made by a friend who owned a sheet metal shop at the time. I think I tried just cleaning and painting. The paint was pretty easily scratched off. At least no worry about rust. Next time I will prime first with a primer suitable for stainless. I think the raw stainless look is OK, too. Depends on the grill and "look" you are trying for.

Back