Going Nuts (very short trip) Some Quick Cooks

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Really lousy weather rain, snow, hail and really high winds and not getting out of the 30s. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now
Finally said I gotta do something besides play solitaire half the day. It’s getting pretty bad when I get giddy knowing I’m going to Walmart for something.

So what I have left of my fleet of grills the Camp Chef is by far the most wind tolerant of them all. So I did a few cooks on it. Nothing special.

First was my first attempt at using Buckboard Bacon Cure, Jim Lampe sent me some to try. Thanks again Jim. I cured 1/3 of a pork belly with it for 7 days.
I used Bob Correll‘s smoking method on the Camp Chef using a combo of apple and cherry pellets. With my maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon slurry.
Very pleased with the results I prefer it more than the Morton Tender Quick, Barb also prefers it.
101_6339.JPG

Next up a rack of St. Louis spares with a new rub I got at Costco made by Traeger.
Like the rub it didn’t overpower the taste of the pork. No plated picture because we didn’t use it until the next day.
101_6345.JPG

101_6357.JPG

101_6360.JPG

Last was some Bob Correll’s beef jerky recipe with some bottom round, came out really well.
101_6347.JPG

101_6069.JPG
Stay Safe

Rich, I’ve only been to Prescott once almost 30 years ago, but, I really loved the area! Seeing what you and Barb have had to contend with from a weather standpoint. I’m fairly sure I’d be right down the street from you commiserating with the restrictions. All your cooks look really delicious, I keep thinking that I need to do some buckboard bacon and, some Jerky!
Glad you are safe and well.

Rich isn't alone with the weather. Same here in Las Vegas, but we need the rain. The other afternoon we had a burst of hail (what they call here grapple) that totally covered the back yard and was bouncing off the Genesis. That same morning we had snow mixed in rain while Rhode Island was way above normal! Got to love this crazy weather. Not used to having to turn on lights in the daytime here either! No outside cooking due to the temps and wind. Spring is around the corner?

Good looking cooks, Rich! I'm a sucker for the Old Surveyor jerky recipe.....looks like that turned out nicely. Did you slice up the round and the bacon on the Beswood? I haven't made bacon since I got it, but it made quick work of the last eye of round I used for jerky.

Glad the buckboard cure was to your liking!!

R

Rich,
Great looking cooks! I have put the buckboard cure in my Amazon cart multiple times, you saying you like it better then tender quick has me thinking I need to try it. I need to do jerky, something I have never done.

Wonderful cooks, Rich. Sorry the weather is so sucky. Come visit your old stomping ground. The weather has been cool but nice around here.

Everything looks tasty. I really like the lols of those cut up ribs. Been craving ribs lately.

Back