Glove recommendations?

Josh - CT

TVWBB Member
Just getting started with a WSM and need to buy all the supporting equipment. There seem to be 100’s of glove options. Can someone with more experience provide some recommendations?

Do I get a pair to handle the heat and grates and another for handling food? Not sure if the options that do both work well. Thanks!

I'd suggest getting a pair of the silicone or rubber gloves. So you can handle food and later clean them off. I think they are rated to 450F, which is fine for handling the grates and cooker parts. I don't really need to pick up burning coals or logs with my hands.

I had a pair of heavy leather fireplace gloves. They had a much higher temp rating, but were a mess when handling food.

I just bought a pair of welding gloves...arrived before my WSM...lol. They claim they are rated to 900+F. Supposedly can pick up super hot grill grates amongst other things and burning logs (although they recommend you don't handle those for more than 20s nor burning coals, etc...). From what I read, you can handle those things, but they may create scars in the gloves. The ones I got are 16" long and go up the forearm.

I plan to also get some silicone reusable gloves for meat handling and a box of disposable gloves for other quick handling of raw foods and messy things, etc...

Good luck and happy purchasing!

Chris / corpfan1

I use these. They have been fantastic. Only one time did I grab something too hot, taking my Lodge cast iron combo cooker inside straight off the grill. Halfway inside it got hot. Lol. Now, I put one glove on and wrap the second one around the handle. Every other thing has been no problem. Cheap too. I bought two pairs at the beginning of summer thinking I can cycle through them, but still on my first pair.

I use these. They have been fantastic. Only one time did I grab something too hot, taking my Lodge cast iron combo cooker inside straight off the grill. Halfway inside it got hot. Lol. Now, I put one glove on and wrap the second one around the handle. Every other thing has been no problem. Cheap too. I bought two pairs at the beginning of summer thinking I can cycle through them, but still on my first pair.

I've noticed similar with my leather welding gloves. By the time I get to the door carrying hot cast iron the heat works thru the gloves. Guess when they advertise it's good till 900 degrees, they mean for a very short time.

I don't use any gloves for handling foods "on" the grill. I do use Nitrile over cotton for handling food, off the grill.

I have welding gloves for grates & such, and a heavy duty Pampered Chef mitt that works great for cast iron.

Any particular cotton glove for under the Nitrile gloves?

I went with these as I couldn't find any in the stores around me. I have XL hands, these one size gloves are small on me. They work, but they are small. I would think any thin cotton glove would work. I thought I would be tossing them out as I used them, so I bought a multi pack. In reality, after about a year, I'm still on the 1st pair.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVWY6XR/?tag=tvwb-20

I have four(4) pairs of Welding Gloves which are generally A-OK with ONE EXCEPTION; when removing A Lodge CAST IRON Pizza Pan off my Weber Performer Deluxe.

I actually very, very rarely actually touch the meat with my hands, pre or post cook. Only time would be a large brisket or pork shoulder and only then it might be precook to get it out of the vacuum sealing. I'm a little weird like that and I have a LOT of tongs. lol

I use welding gloves. Works fine for quick operations, but at mentioned the heat will eventually make it past the gloves, especially with cast iron. For removing hot grates I have always just grabbed them with tongs or channel lock pliers. I was given a pair of the silicone gloves just haven't used them yet. Maybe I'll get them out and test them and post a review.

Well, I was wondering the exact same question, when I got my WSM !!! I was looking to go cheap, cause I don't grill that much... :)

I have a 3 pack of these from Harbor Freight, for quick moving stuff around :

Welding Gloves

....and a set of these, also for quick moving food around...sometimes it's hard to flip or move a butt or shoulder !!! OTOH, DON'T grab a hot grate or even the end of a hot metal skewer with these...just sayin' :rolleyes:

PVC Gloves

Lastly,
I picked up one of these, on clearance, at my local Bed Bath and Beyond...guess the color was too ugly, but they're cheap, anyway...use the 20% coupon, if you can ! This silicone glove resides in the house, and gets used for handling cast iron and other hot stuff !!! Love it !

Silicone Oven Mitt

HTH !!!

Dean...

Back